Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: You've gotta laugh.

Re: You've gotta laugh.

hi Matt it really doesn't supprise me don't forget its a mental illness its not there people cant see it,oh lets fob him off with medication

as people have said get a new doctor Matt awful xx

best wishes Jude xx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Got to change your Doctor for a start Matt. Truly awful. That is really shocking about your nephew and your Mums condition Isn't there a another Practice you could join?
    It's really hard to find a new GP surgery in my area. As you know i've been going round in circles with my pain. It's miserable living in pain and when i'm complaining of living in pain, i'm living in pain. It's def not my gallbladder, then it's coming out, now it's not. Re-referred back to the gastro and waiting 6 months at a time for everything, i'm exhausted. Popping out a hernia that hurts, registrar agreeing to repair it then changing their minds because apparently it doesn't hurt enough. I'm so wound up and ready to explode, it's not me.

---------- Post added at 23:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Do you think that your Trust just doesn't accept GAD referrals, Matt? Not a reflection on your referral but just a general policy?

Or maybe that was your "assessment and treatment"? Discussed whilst downing tea and biscuits at the weekly sift out as much as you can meeting?
    I have no idea, probably tea and biscuits.

Contained in the letter was my assessment from 2015, so they've just used that.

It has three headings,
    Diagnosis,
    Risk statement,
    Mental state examination,
    This wound me up back in 2015 as it was all done in an appt that took minutes.

The mental state examination one got me. This is the exact words....
    Matthew is a tall man of large build. He was dressed appropriately, he maintained good eye contact and developed a good rapport. His behaviour was nornal and i could not see any signs of anxiety. His speach was normal in tone, volume and coherent. Mood was subjectively and objectively euthymic. There was no evidence of psycotic features.

What a load of crap! So i'm fine because i can communicate and dress well etc.

I bet 99% of people on this forum could say that people could never tell or know how they're actually feeling.

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Suziewuzie View Post
    Crikey, it's scary isn't it? I work for the NHS so I know stuff like this happens but the idea of someone deciding your care without even meeting you - and then just sending you a letter to let you know what they've decided? You're right - it is laughable! I might try it with my patients who have chronic wounds - Hello Sir! I read that your leg is still a total mess, just try taking some paracetamol and we won't need to see you. Bye!
    Seriously though, if you don't like your GP I really suggest changing, I know it's a faff but it's so important to have a GP you feel like you can talk to.
    Yep, it's a joke Suzie. All they've done is used and enclosed the assessment that i had in 2015 that lasted minutes.

I've been messed about something out of this world by the NHS for 2 years. This is just yet another kick in the teeth.

I can't sleep and when i do i'm not getting to sleep until 4 to 5am. I wake up in a panic and have to sit curled up in chair trying to calm down and chain smoke 10 fags. I have to pull it together or should i say not show it as i have a little one at home. Yet a decision on something i've been referred for can be made without seeing me and enclosing a copy of the letter after seeing them in 2015 from an appt that lasted minutes, JUST to pad it out.

Keep up the good work in your role within the NHS Suzie!!!! Four of my mates have been paramedics, two have now left due to the pressure and non-stop 12hr shifts. My ex SIL has been a nurse for 35 years and has had enough. The ambulance service in my area is always in the spotlight for not meeting targets/response times and on talking to my mates the reason is they spend hrs in A&E waiting to hand patients over. Total joke.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    Just yet another KICK in the teeth, to add to the list.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Even got a diagnosis of GAD. VERY, VERY clever these day's. I managed to get to see the psychiatry team in 2015, it was done via my CBT therapist as i'd never had a proper med review in nearly 10 years, just slapped on propranolol after a 5 minute consultation, then because i was put on propranolol the CBT therapist discharged me as that was deemed a safety behaviour, so she wouldn't see me anymore.

Yep, it's a good way to cut waiting times!!! Typical of my NHS trust! My 77 year old Mum has a heart condition, her cardiologist referred her to the respritory clinic back in May as she's had a cough for well over a year. She got an appt for Sept, in Sept they cancelled it until Oct, in Oct they decided to refuse her referral full stop, WTF!! Even though her cardiologist wants her to see respritory. I would say this is pretty important as your cardiovascular and respritory system is all linked.

Same trust that a Dr looked my 16 year old Nephew in the eye and said "have you actually thought of just getting better" he was bleeding from his arse, was in pain plus much more. Turns out he has crohns and by the time he got diagnosed it was so bad, all he could have for 8 weeks was a special medical shake thing to cakm everything down!
    What a joke of a system. Trust the GP's questioning and make a decision. Well, that would be good if surgeons worked like that, wouldn't it? "Oops, sorry but it wasn't your liver after all but your GP did say it was so we've removed it".

Terrible surgery by the sounds of it.

And to that therapist I say That was very clearly an excuse to dump you off their service. All anxiety sufferers have safety behaviours, it's as fundamental to the problem as being worried!

---------- Post added at 02:36 ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 ----------

Do you think that your Trust just doesn't accept GAD referrals, Matt? Not a reflection on your referral but just a general policy?

Or maybe that was your "assessment and treatment"? Discussed whilst downing tea and biscuits at the weekly sift out as much as you can meeting?
    That's a good point. I remember that happened to lior when she was referred. On the local trust website it even said they won't treat anything other than x, y,z and won't touch anxiety & depression. I was really surprised. It was all about not having the resources so they very nicely decided we don't matter!

The GP may have been given the impression there was an actual assessment too when this is more like a case review meeting.

The assessment of what the person is wearing always angers me. Maybe we should go to psych appointments dressed as Hannibal Lector or Tarzan? Or maybe naked? It's such an important part of the "assessment" apparently as is tone of voice etc. Not all autistic people have poor eye contact/monosyllabic speech/echolalia-gross generalisations leave the psych open to flawed diagnoses or no diagnosis at all and a "return to sender" label. Mental health patients don't have a checklist to tick off by the medic and score out of 20..

I'm so sorry, Matt. I know how you must be feeling struggling physically and mentally through each and every day. You have to somehow find the strength to fight against this decision. I know it's another battle but maybe you could write it all down in a letter to the relevant department?

Pulisa I was just thinking how ridiculous the "dressed appropriately" comment is.

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzella View Post
    Pulisa I was just thinking how ridiculous the "dressed appropriately" comment is.
    It seems to be a criteria to measure mental health-standard practice. There is a man I see regularly walking around near our local community mental health centre who is always dressed in these garish outrageous suits-I reckon he gets these suits made to make the professionals take him seriously. One I saw him wearing was in white and patterned with drops of blood..It would be interesting to read his consultation notes..

Most fashion designers would be sectioned if it was down to relying on clothes for an accurate assessment of mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Find yourself a friendly pharmacist Matt, you'll get a better response and available nearly every day!
    I have no faith in GPS from my experience and I they make me feel like I am bothering them and when I had my assessment with a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with PTSD and GAD, she offered me a guaranteed recovery for a big ongoing fee.
    I do think you should discuss with your o/h, I know she has her own worries, but she won't thank you for keeping stuff from her. You know what women are like?
    I'm with you on that one Carnation, i also have very little to no faith in GP's. I honestly can't see what they really do to be deserving of such a high wage. 4 x more than paramedics and nurses, 2 x more than consultants and more than surgeons.

All the BULL of "well they train for 7 years" get's my back up! For what? to be the gatekeeper to your referrals but deal with sniffles and coughs for 99% of the time. So train for 7 years, then work for 10 to 15 years to become a millionaire, not bad eh?

Gotta love the NHS adverts like "have you had a cough for 3 weeks, go and see your GP" REALLY, what are they going to do? And more to the point, some areas can't get an appt to see a GP for weeks and weeks. Oh i better book an appt now just incase i get a cough or can see into the future. Then they are up in arms about GP surgeries being asked to be open 7 days a week. Nobody was asking them to work 7 days a week, just work out some sort of shift pattern so they could be open 7 days.

Try and sell you help for your MH on a private basis, Carnation. Just about sums it up. A little bit like NHS dentistry, do the bare minimum to keep your teeth going, but if you wan't them to look nice, pay ££££££'s private.

When my Partner saw her GP about her thyroid, she was given no reassurance at all. I/we know the GP couldn't exactly say what the problem will involve or tests needed etc, but nothing! Just ship you in and ship you out! Nothing like, "it's something i've seen a thousand times before, it's very common, i can't say for sure, but this is likely to happen" but nope, just nothing and handled with NO sensitivity AT ALL! She's at a different GP surgery to me and when her Mum was dying of kidney cancer and was coming to the end, this is the same GP that did a home visit and said to her Dad, directly in front of her Mum "yep she's only got day's left" the sensitivity of a sledgehammer!

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MRS STRESS ED View Post
    hi Matt it really doesn't supprise me don't forget its a mental illness its not there people cant see it,oh lets fob him off with medication

best wishes Jude xx
    Thanks Jude, MH'ers are bottom of the pile and a judgement is made on us in a matter of minutes or this time round though a judgenent has been made on........ nothing, nothing at all.

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    What a joke of a system. Trust the GP's questioning and make a decision. Well, that would be good if surgeons worked like that, wouldn't it? "Oops, sorry but it wasn't your liver after all but your GP did say it was so we've removed it".

Terrible surgery by the sounds of it.

And to that therapist I say That was very clearly an excuse to dump you off their service. All anxiety sufferers have safety behaviours, it's as fundamental to the problem as being worried!

---------- Post added at 02:36 ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 ----------

That's a good point. I remember that happened to lior when she was referred. On the local trust website it even said they won't treat anything other than x, y,z and won't touch anxiety & depression. I was really surprised. It was all about not having the resources so they very nicely decided we don't matter!

The GP may have been given the impression there was an actual assessment too when this is more like a case review meeting.

Yep she couldn't wait to get rid of me! I've had CBT twice, 2013 and 2015. The therapist i had in 2013 was brilliant, i would say she may of had MH problems in her past. The one who discharged me in 2015 was useless, she was like a robot, just following as if she was reading from a text book.

I'm in the US so I am not familiar with the health care in the UK. I do not take meds since doctors just think handing you a pill solves all ills especially in this country. I would talk to your partner, and I would definitely find another doctor. To slam someone back meds scares me and being on more then one would worry me. I am 58 and I don't take any meds, my last doctor visit (last week) the doctor told me I can't believe your not on any medication for my "age". Seriously?

People that are close to you will care and will not feel burdened, reach out to them. They love you. I hope you get this resolved.

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MRS STRESS ED View Post

best wishes Jude xx

Sure got that right!

The assessment of what the person is wearing always angers me. Maybe we should go to psych appointments dressed as Hannibal Lector or Tarzan? Or maybe naked? It's such an important part of the "assessment" apparently as is tone of voice etc. Not all autistic people have poor eye contact/monosyllabic speech/echolalia-gross generalisations leave the psych open to flawed diagnoses or no diagnosis at all and a "return to sender" label. Mental health patients don't have a checklist to tick off by the medic and score out of 20..

I'm so sorry, Matt. I know how you must be feeling struggling physically and mentally through each and every day. You have to somehow find the strength to fight against this decision. I know it's another battle but maybe you could write it all down in a letter to the relevant department?
    Pulisa, It's so wrong on every level. When you look at how sports stars are now starting to open up.
    Would we have ever thought that Chris Kirkland, Danny Rose, Andy Cole and Marcus Trescothick would have had the problems they've had, by looking at them? Nope, no chance.
    Chris Kirkland has been on the football debate twice in the last few months. He was tipped over the edge by something as simple as changing clubs, meaning he had a drive slightly further for work. He's doing a great thing, he has said how instant help is if people in football need help. How many people have had the help they need here, not many i bet.
    In 2013 i felt so bad my Dad phoned my GP and he said to to take me to A&E. I was kept waiting for 6hrs, after about 4hrs a nurse came into A&E, shouted my name then shouted in front of the whole A&E dept "your not going to do something silly are you"! I knew people in there! What a lovely unprofessional thing to do!!

It's a very different thing for footballers..There's a programme on Talksport at 8pm on Sundays with a sports psychologist-Gary Bloom?. It's very interesting but it's a different world for them re accessing help. It just doesn't happen like that in the real world but it's a good thing that sportsmen are opening up about mental health issues..

I know all about the "go straight to A&E" farce. It's not an option and shouldn't be suggested as one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information