Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some rational people to talk with

Need some rational people to talk with

Let me start by saying I have had HA for a while. I always have been able to keep it relatively controlled. It started about a decade ago when I was in my 20s. I had a routine surgery that went bad. I went septic and almost died. Dr prepared my parents for the worst. Recovery from that was really hard for me physically and mentally. Every since then I have had a hard time trusting drs.

My situation. About a little over a month ago I let my dog out before bedtime. He took off to the back of the yard and I heard him growling and making noises (like he was fighting) and the fence getting hit. Lasted just a few seconds. Figured he saw an animal and went after it. Not sure if he physical got into an altercation with it or it got over the fence first.

I called him in right away and looked him over and didn’t notice any abrasions or marks on him initially. My dog is vaccinated, FYI. About 2 weeks go by and I was petting him and I felt a bump on his neck about 2 or 3 inches below his collar above his shoulder blade. It was a scab about the size of my pinky finger nail. Probably just under a 1 cm in diameter. It flaked up when I pet him. And was only connected on one side so I pulled it up and there was a tiny mark that started to bleed. Not sure how big or small the initial injury was that I found prior to it scabbing up.

My concern was, if the scab was from an animal that he got into a fight with 2 weeks ago could I have contracted rabies from touching his hair in that spot when I looked him over 2 weeks prior to prior when he ran out back? I don’t remember seeing blood or feeling wet hair when I looked him over but I can’t be certain of it. I also can’t be certain that he didn’t cut himself at a later date or just scratched himself to hard when itching himself. I usually have small scrapes on my hands because I work with them a lot. I am worried about saliva left from the animal that may have gotten on my hands.

I asked my dr about possible exposure and he said very unlikely. I even called the state health department and the state rabies exposure hotline and discussed the situation with them. They said it would take a lot of “ifs” for there to be an exposure. Animal had to actually interact with my animal. Animal would have to be rabid. Animal would have had to have saliva in large quantities on my dogs fur. I would have had to touch that spot with open wound on my hand. Saliva would have to contain enough virus to infect, Etc. They said the chance is extremely low and one even said it doesn’t sound concerning.

I know I did have a few cuts on my hands at that time. I don’t know if they were covered or scabbed over.

I was fine for a couple days and then started freaking out a bit and went to ER where they said no shot. Chances are ridiculously low for transmission. I was doing fine but then over the last couple days I started feeling run down. I have been waking up with a shooting pain in my right pectoral muscle the last 2 days and have been having twitching in my forearm, which I have convinced myself that the twitching is muscle spasms due to the virus in my body. My right arm also feels a bit weak.

My rational side says “what the hell are you babbling about.” However, I have been that 1 in millionth person before and I almost died from it. So I have this fear hanging over me.

I don’t want to bug my wife with it because she has helped me with other health concerns I have had. I know it drains her trying to get me back on track and I don’t want to put her through it again. I figured strangers will help. Lol. Can I get some reassurance here (as long as it is warranted)?

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:40 ----------

Sorry for the novel I wrote.

Re: Need some rational people to talk with

You come to an anxiety forum for a dose of rationality?

If you've read through some of the other rabies threads, you've surely realized the fantastical nature of the fear and circumstances. I know it's hard but you really have to listen to that rational side of your brain and the several experts and medical professionals that have no concerns.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You come to an anxiety forum for a dose of rationality?
    Valid point. Lol.

It has just been hard since I have been so fatigued and sore throat. Now with the arm weakness and twitches got me all worked up. It has just been hard day today and I needed to talk and get opinions again. Silly I know but it is where I am at.

Digging deep to find my rational thinking

You’re going to be fine. The physical symptoms you have are from the anxiety. Do you know any relaxation methods to help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to work out a lot and that helped with anxiety but I haven’t been able to do that for some time now. Job is going full tilt and rest of the time is spent with my family.

I just wish my forearm would stop twitching. That alone would ease my mind a lot. I know it sounds ridiculous but I can’t help but think about it at times. Today is better than yesterday for sure though.

Well the more you think about it, the worse it gets. I’m not belittling you, I’m going through my own stuff too. Glad today is better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I try not to think about and stay busy. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. Like I said, I know my situation probablyseems fantastical but it feels real to me. That is how it works with HA I guess.

The crappy thing is after a few days of stress I always feel so tired and spacey and have nausea for a day or two.

I need to vent. So yesterday my left thigh started aching and feeling weak. I went to bed thinking it would feel better in the morning. It is still sore and has a cold sensation. I haven’t done anything strenuous lately that would create muscle aches. The twitching in my arm has slowed down. This has had me a little anxious today.

Then I was reading misc news stories not searching for anything related to rabies. I stumbled across a story about a guy who just died in Utah from rabies from a bat. Said he handled bats in his house and they locked his fingers. I am freaking out now about the muscle aches. They said he went to dr because of muscle aches in his back at first. Then it got worse. My leg has been aching for 24 hours. I don’t know what to do.

I felt flush as soon as I read it and am freaking out. I am at about 5 weeks since my situation happened.
    Last edited by GRVY; 12-11-18 at 20:22.

Quote Originally Posted by GRVY View Post
    Then I was reading misc news stories not searching for anything related to rabies. I stumbled across a story about a guy who just died in Utah from rabies from a bat. Said he handled bats in his house and they locked his fingers. I am freaking out now about the muscle aches. They said he went to dr because of muscle aches in his back at first. Then it got worse.
    I read that story too. I was wondering if it would trigger someone here. Bingo! I'm sure you also read the couple would wake up and find bats in their bed? First off, who the heck even allows that? Would they let mice or rats freely enter their home? I read that and was thinking, they're looney! That's one of those one in a billion situations and it's the first death from rabies in Utah since 1944. I get that anything to do with bats and rabies is a trigger for you but c'mon now. Do you have rabid bats living in your house?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I read that story too. I was wondering if it would trigger someone here. Bingo! I'm sure you also read the couple would wake up and find bats in their bed? First off, who the heck even allows that? Would they let mice or rats freely enter their home? I read that and was thinking, they're looney! That's one of those one in a billion situations and it's the first death from rabies in Utah since 1944. I get that anything to do with bats and rabies is a trigger for you but c'mon now. Do you have rabid bats living in your house?

Positive thoughts
    I read that, too, and I cannot even believe those people. I am dying to know all the details-- like where on earth do you find bats that you just catch and bring inside? Did they have a colony in the attic? Did they bring them inside everyday??? My god! These details must be answered.

Op- it does not sound like you were exposed to rabies. The mind concocts psychosomatic reactions. I know it is hard but hang in there!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information