Thread: Acid reflux causing the c-word

Acid reflux causing the c-word

So I have suffered with acid reflux for years, 10 years plus at least. I am 34. Never had a camera down to investigate and I am worried about what is going on down there :( but at the same time, I don't wanna have the camera down cause the anticipation of waiting for the procedure then getting results terrifies me. I am also recovering from bulimia although I rarely make myself sick these days. I know for a fact my bulimia will have contributed to my stomach issues.

My health anxiety isn't actually too bad at the moment, although I am almost off antidepressants now so having to make sure I don't spiral with my thoughts. It is much harder when I am not on meds.

Anyway, I also decided to come off my meds for my reflux (Omeprazole) which I had been on about 10 years, cause I was worried about being on it long term (apparently it can cause vitamin deficiencies) after being off it a week or so my heartburn came back. My symptoms are more in my stomach rather than reflux now, like my stomach is sensitive especially to temperatures.

Anyway, I went to the drs about it and she didn't seem concerned at all. I told her I was scared about it causing the c-word and she said I am not really high risk (or words to that affect) and has told me to try Ranitidine instead. I started it about 4 or 5 days ago and its not really doing anything yet.

I don't help matters cause I drink alcohol, coffee and love very hot spicy food lol. The dr has told me to stop drinking coffee, which will be a struggle as I am a huge caffeine fiend. I will listen to the dr though.

Anyway does anyone else get stomach acid issues and have fears of it causing the c-word? I know its quite a common health issue and I also know that statistically, it is very unlikely I have c-word and I would have other symptoms too. If you do get these fears, how do you deal with them?

Also I would appreciate gentle replies please. I have resisted from posting in this group lately as I have noticed some of the replies to peoples posts have been rather abrupt.

Hope someone can help

Re: Acid reflux causing the c-word

snowflake293

I am a self-declared expert on GORD, having suffered from it from the tender age of 7. I'm now 25.

I didn't realise GORD was abnormal until around the age of 17 (yeah I know!). I would waken up every night nearly, with acid burning my chest and mouth. It was dreadful.

I've been on omeprazole since the age of 19. GORD runs in my family, and my dad has been on omeprazole for the last 15 years (prior to that it was Zantac/Ranitidine).

Yes, long-term PPI therapy *can* cause Vitamin deficiency, however this is easily remedied by taking a vitamin tablet. I know of many people who have been on it for years without issue.

When you stopped the omeprazole, you probably had what's known as rebound reflux. This is where symptoms temporarily worsen before improving.

I had an OGD (camera down) at the age of 21, and yeah it wasn't exactly pleasant, but I'd have no problem getting it done again. Besides, you won't have to wait for results (unless you get a biopsy) but they'll be able to tell you there and then if anything is amiss.

And yes, reflux can lead to cancer of the oesophagus. This is usually after many many years of untreated reflux.

Personally, if I were you, I'd continue taking the omperazole... But I understand your concerns about long term use. The way I look at it, you have to balance Vitamin deficiency (easily treated) VS untreated reflux leading to more serious issues.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to message me.

Best wishes

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Thank you for your reply, really helpful I think I am gonna go back on the Omeprazole. When I take it I am fine. My Mom has been on Lansoprazole for even longer than I can remember and had a camera down and its just acid reflux and a hiatus hernia. She is fine as long as she takes her meds.

Sorry you suffer as well! It is just the worst.

Unless the dr tells me they think I definitely need a camera down, I am not going to ask for it. I know it would put my mind at rest, but I just can't. I hate tests! I lose my mind over smears, blood tests etc... I am much better than I was but at my worst point I'd be freaking out even in the waiting room. Full on panic attacks.

I'm going to start taking my Omeprazole again in the morning! I take a multivitamin and magnesium daily anyway

Thanks again!

Snowflake, I feel your pain (literally!)

I’ve suffered with acid reflux since I had a very bad bout of norovirus 11 years ago which damaged my stomach lining and it was finally diagnosed at GERD/GORD about 4 years ago. I took Omeprazole (10mg) for 10 years and have tried unsuccessfully to come off it but the rebound acid has always been horrific. The doctor switched me to 300mg ranitidine earlier this year which isn’t as effective but I still take it because I finally got off the omeprazole.

I too worry about the years of acid reflux causing the c word and have been reassured constantly but it doesn’t away result in that and only after many many years of untreated reflux. I have to constantly remind myself that I’m being treated for it but at times I find my panic increasing (usually during times when I feel acid in my stomach and throat).

I had a camera down my throat 3 years ago (I had a panic attack in the consultants office and she ordered it to put my mind at rest!) and was told all was fine but I still feel like I need the reassurance that all is still fine. I’m even having gallbladder related symptoms at the moment and the doctor says that because I had the scope so recently they don’t need to do it again, although I’m worried they’ll miss something by being dismissive..

It really is a viscous cycle of panic and acid and acid and panic!

Has anyone else considered the Linx procedure?

I've suffered acid reflux (mainly manifesting in LPR symptoms) for around three years now, due to a small hiatus hernia caused by having three big babies. I am on 10mg of Esomeprazole a day (I bite the 20mg tablets in half, trying to wean down to lowest dose I can) but still get breakthrough symptoms and have to top up with Ranitidine or Gaviscon at times. I also worry about being on PPIs long term, especially as I'm only 41. On the other hand, I'm also terrified about the possibility of reflux causing oesophogeal cancer of Barretts Oesophogeous. I had a endoscopy two years ago and it only showed a small hiatus hernia but luckily no nasties or inflammation etc. I don't know how often you csn demand a follow up endoscopy to keep a check on things once you have an ok endoscopy. Can you drmand one every few years for peace of mind? The procedure itself doesn't worry me, just the results (like a lot on here).

I have also considered the Linx procedure but I don't know if my reflux is bad enough. Also, I'm not sure of the long term effects of it.

Thanks for all the replies. I just typed a long reply and lost it(!)

I am going to go back to the doctors if the acid doesn't get better on the Ranitidine. If I have to go back on Omeprazole then so be it. I think feeling the acid in my stomach and the associated symptoms/sensations just makes me even more anxious.

Can it take a while for Ranitidine to work? I have been on it 6 days so far and no difference at all, if anything my acid feels worse!

I had a separate doctor to the ones I see now mention to me years ago about some sort of operation/procedure to do with tightening the valve or something like that. I am assuming I'd definitely need the camera down first though to diagnose whatever is causing it?

I am so terrified of having the camera down. I am going to talk to the doctor about it though. I've never been referred to have this done, so I am sure that if they thought it was necessary they would have done it by now. I am going to ask the doctor if they think it is necessary though. If I have it done and its nothing nasty, it will be a HUGE relief. I am just scared of the 'what ifs' though if you know what I mean?

My health anxiety is pretty bad this morning and I am symptom-hopping a lot :( I am so tired of feeling like this, especially when it had got better for so long! I want to be healthy, mentally and physically as me and my husband want to try for a baby again next year (I had a miscarriage last year sadly).

I am worrying about the roof of my mouth now... it feels bumpy! I saw a dentist some months ago who said it looked like I might have a bit of oral thrush (from not rinsing my mouth out after having my inhaler) as she could see a red patch. I have looked and can't see a patch but it does feel bumpy. I am panicking over this now!

What a life eh.

my hiatus hernia has caused all manner of strange symptoms since they found it in February 2016, from the normal heartburn/burning stomach to rib pains and general feeling 'meh'. Omeprazole has kept it in check pretty well, but the odd flare-up once or twice a year gets a month on Esomeprazole instead! I get particular anxiety on this, as my granddad had oesophageal cancer, and the symptoms can be very similar (although this disease is not hereditary the doctor told me, its more to do with lifestyle)

Don't worry about the gastroscopy either its not as bad as it sounds - I've had three of these now, and the worst part of it was the initial 'gagging' sensation when the camera first goes down, but they do a good job of numbing the area first so it isn't so bad (and you have the option of being sedated if you wish)

Get sedated! You pretty much have no care in the world during the procedure, are pretty out of it and get an awesome sleep afterwards!

It isn't the procedure itself that scares me in the slightest. Its the unknown and the waiting around. Worrying about results and what they mean scares me more than having to swallow a camera.

Anyway I went to see my GP again and she wants to test for H Pylori. Bear in mind, I have had acid issues for years, I am surprised they haven't tested for this before. I don't think I have it, but they want to rule it out.

GP also said she thinks I am fine to stay on Omeprazole, and as long as the Omprazole is working she sees no need for an endoscopy, so I will take that

Annoyingly, I can't have any Omeprazole for 2 weeks now before my H Pylori test.

I am also having my liver tested again as my ATL was borderline last time so worrying over that :(

So paranoid I am dying or have the c-word. I hate this. I am so done with it.

Thread Information