Thread: Is this hard lump in back of neck bone or lymph node?

Is this hard lump in back of neck bone or lymph node?

I'm a bit worried - on my right side, if I feel right behind my ear at the base of the skull bone, and go a little further down, if I press deep there is a hard lump. I can't tell if this is bone or a lymph node?! I assume lymph nodes here would stick out of the neck, but it's not like that, it's very deep. On the other side in the same area there's nothing like that - if I press a lot, I can feel something hard, which I'm assuming is the same bone (if it's that) but it is much smaller. Is this lymphoma? Let me know if anyone has the same thing...If it's bone I just don't get how I wouldn't have ever noticed it before!

Re: Is this hard lump in back of neck bone or lymph node?

You would need to ask a doctor what it is to be fair.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

If you press deep, it's not something to be concerned with at all. Everyone, if they press deep around their body will find a lump or bump. The question is, why are you engaging in these extreme self-examination behaviors?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Dimdim101 View Post

if I press deep

if I press a lot
    Why are you "pressing" at all?

How about keeping your hands off yourself and stop looking for things to freak yourself out over?
    If you're worried, instead of.. pressing hard, pressing a lot.. go see your dr.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    If you're worried, instead of.. pressing hard, pressing a lot.. go see your dr.
    And ask about getting some help with your anxiety!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

I was only pressing it because the area was hurting a bit so I thought I had a tense muscle - as I was trying to massage it I noticed the lump, and then haven't stopped thinking about it...funnily enough, I have 3 doctors in my family. I got them to feel it - main consensus was bone or tendon and not lymph node, but since they all know about my health anxiety I worry they just say everything is fine even when it isn't. Even though they say with certainty it's not a lymph node, they can't say exactly what it is which worries me. I just don't see how I can't really feel anything similar on the other side if it's just a bone or tendon.

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    If you press deep, it's not something to be concerned with at all
    So would lymph nodes be felt much more easily and stick out of the neck visibly?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimdim101 View Post
    So would lymph nodes be felt much more easily and stick out of the neck visibly?
    Yes

Positive thoughts

Thread Information