Thread: clomipramine and imipramine for social anxiety

clomipramine and imipramine for social anxiety

Hello, has anyone been on either of these 2 meds and found it effective for social anxiety/fear and the likes? Has it made you more calm and peaceful inside and reduced stress? thanks for any comments. I have severe social anxiety and wondering if these two would be effective.
    according to this study clomipramine is stronger than imipramine for anxiety disorders: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1527228
    I believe that is becuase clomipramine reduces CRH (stress signal: Corticotropin-Releasing Hormone) mRNA up to 74% vs Imipramine which only reduces CRH by 37% (still a lot). any thoughts on this?

clomipramine ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15214866
    imipramine ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1671867

max dose of clomipramine is 250mg/day
    and max dose of imipramine is 300mg/day

also this is way I think clomipramine is so effective for OCD cause it reduces CRH massivly.
    Last edited by farshad; 13-11-18 at 05:10.

Re: clomipramine and imipramine for social anxiety

I was on Trimipramine for 10 years, an updated version of Imipramine I believe. I took it for GAD and insomnia. It helped greatly with both, particularly for insomnia, as I slept for 11-12 hours every night! I did have trouble getting up though, and it’s only in the year I’ve been off it that I realise I was living in a bit of a brain fog. I’m glad to have my mental acuity back now and feel motivated and enthusiastic about life again. Also, the drug gave me a terribly dry mouth and eyes, constipation and heart palpitations.

I don’t know what those ten years would have been like on a different drug and I was so grateful to be saved by it from feeling constant fear, panic and sleeplessness. In the end the drug became outrageously expensive and the NHS would no longer prescribe it.

Give the others a try, but keep a close eye on over-sleeping and apathy.

Good luck.

Re: clomipramine and imipramine for social anxiety

Hi Farshad

I have been on a really low dose of 20mg clomipramine for 5 years but I have recently come under some heavy stress/anxiety /depression which may be due to delayed grief. Anyway, GP has advised me to get up to 50mg to see how i go and see if it helps.

when i was ad the first time 6 years ago,clomipramine was the only thing that calmed down the anxiety i was feeling, so it would e nice to see how you get on with it. I have been n 50mg for just 2 days, so I know it may be a few weeks before I feel any better. I was always against meds, but sometimes in life, you just gotta try something to make life bearable.

Good luck on our quest.

Thread Information