Thread: Mucus in stool? TMI.

Mucus in stool? TMI.

I know that a little mucus when you're doing BM is normal, but how do they look like? When I read mucus I'm imagining slime-like, something that would dissolve completely when you crush it using tissue paper.

I'm generally constipated, even though I go fairly regularly. I've been having what I think is mucus, it's white but they're not exactly all slime. It's more like thin, transparent tissue paper. Is it still considered mucus? I was actually wondering if that's my colon lining peeling off or something. They're not attached to the stool, but I found them in the toilet.

I kinda used some stick to take it apart (gross I know but I needed to know), and it was definitely slimey, but at the same time it's also solid. Like, not all slime. Maybe more like a membrane or something. They easily yield under pressure but they don't dissolve completely. I don't know if I'm making any sense.

Anybody ever had something like this?

Mods, is it okay to let this thread sit here instead of removing it to the IBS section? Thank you.
    Last edited by eevee; 13-11-18 at 16:41.

Re: Mucus in stool? TMI.

Do they float on the toilet water?

If I let it be, it will sink down but sometimes they float. They’re very light so just a small splash of water would move them around. Uhh is it bad if it doesn’t float :( my stools are generally not floating too.

I found a similar photo online and showed it to my friend who’s a med student and they said it looked like mucus so fingers crossed.
    Last edited by eevee; 14-11-18 at 13:23.

Quote Originally Posted by eevee View Post
    If I let it be, it will sink down but sometimes they float. They’re very light so just a small splash of water would move them around. Uhh is it bad if it doesn’t float :( my stools are generally not floating too.

I found a similar photo online and showed it to my friend who’s a med student and they said it looked like mucus so fingers crossed.
    No, don't worry - the floating/not floating stool thing is an internet myth (that you continually see perpetuated by posters on here) and has no sinister significance. I have bowel problems (IBS mainly) due to my anxiety and what you're describing just sounds "normal" for someone with anxiety. A bit of mucus sometimes is just "normal" for everyone from time to time. Obviously if a change is sudden and doesn't go away, or is accompanied by any other new symptoms. you should see your doc after a wait-and-see period of time. But I wouldn't be worrying at all based on what you've described.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information