Thread: Heartburn/GERD or Angina

Heartburn/GERD or Angina

Good Afternoon,

I am a 27 year old male and I weigh 175. I am very active and do a lot of running. I have no health problems other than some elevated cholesterol which I am controlling via medicine (It is genetic). Occasionally I do have GERD symptoms after drinking coffee, and fried chicken. Since yesterday, I have been feeling what seem like chest spasms in my right breast bone. It is not severe but its annoying. I noticed that the pains came today after I drank my coffee and also when I lean in a chair to the right. This makes think it might be a combination of some reflux and a strained chest muscle. I have been experiencing nausea that past few days that I think are GERD related. I go through bouts where I will feel nauseated in the morning then it will go away.

That being said, I have had a full checkup a few months ago and my blood pressire is normal (it gets elevated at the DRs office), and my choleterol is now under control. I eat fairly good. I don't think it is a heart issue but the sensation always makes me wonder.

Does anyone have any insight?

Re: Heartburn/GERD or Angina

Heartburn/GERD or Angina?

Heartburn/GERD. Coffee (and fried foods) is well known to aggravate it.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you for your response Fishmanpa. I don't eat fried foods all the time. Only occasionally. Coffee I drink reguarly but I try to drink it with milk because I don't get as bad reflux.

I'm one of those people who you don't talk to in the morning until I've had my coffee and I like it strong! I even have the mug!

The beginning of the year I was having similar issues and being that I have reflux (and take meds for it) I've switched over to teas. I still brew a pot now and again but cutting back has definitely helped. The fact that you still get it with milk (not as bad but still...) makes the reason and solution obvious

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Ditch the coffee and see how it goes. My ex used to drink a lot and got pains and he was told by a doctor and a consultant in hospital to cut the coffee down.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I also feel like I pulled a chest muscle from playing golf. I also read that GERD may cause chest spasms. I just worry about it being heart because my dad has had some heart issues. My EKG at my medical appointment a few months ago was normal.

So I went running with a coworker after work and I felt no chest pain at all. In fact it was pleasant other than the cold weather. I figure if it were heart related it would get worse. It feels like I have a tight muscle pull or something in my right breast that comes and goes.

Woke up this morning feeling fine then I had some light roast coffee with milk. I feel I reacted to that better. It feels like a strain or pull in my right chestbone. It comes and go too. I sneezed and felt my lower rib cage spasm out for a minute.

Although I am pretty sure this a muscle pull there is always a second thought like "What if it is heart related?". I have read that heart pain would more pronounced then this and would be continous and get worse. I just don't know how I pulled that chest muscle on my right side.

On the positive side I went running yesterday at a comfortably hard pace and did not feel any chest pain whatsoever. In fact I felt great afterward.

So a month or so in, it feels like a muscle pull in my right chest. The pain comes and go and is inflamed whenever I stretch or lean forward in a certain direction. Nevertheless it still is concerning and gives me anxiety due to the possibltiy that it could be heart related. Other than some elevated cholesterol, I am in good health per my last doctors checkup in July.
    Does anyone else have any chest muscle pulls that they are/were concerned about?

Thread Information