Thread: newly Agoraphobic I think.

newly Agoraphobic I think.

I'm really struggling to get out my flat at the moment, 3 weeks back I could go shopping and do most things, even with bad anxiety, dizziness, depersonalisation. That all changed when I was at a self service checkout and the machine refused my money silly I know, but I had a strong feeling of dizziness come over me and my vision was very blurry and I felt like I was going to pass out, I got out the shop and felt much better and thought nothing of it till I went in a shopping centre and started to feel like I was falling whilst standing still, then in Mcdonalds on the same day I had extreme dizziness and feeling of passing out. Since that point I have really struggled to go out and my anxiety is extremely high even at home, my question is what treatments are everyone doing?

I'm reading through the cbt4panic course only started today, and I have done some guided hypnotherapy videos from youtube mainly focused on anxiety and panic attacks.

Whats stopping me at the moment is my anxiety is on high alert before I even step out the door, once outside I get very physical symptoms and in shops I get panic attacks.

please any help advice, guidance would be great appreciated.

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Just to add, I realise the symptoms are caused by adrenaline and I have never passed out or fallen over, but the whole experience of the attacks are so scary.

Re: newly Agoraphobic I think.

I am agoraphobic, I get get panicked when I have to go out it is scary. Try to do breathing exercises, maybe bring an iPod and listen to music call someone on phone a friend or relative while you shop it helps me , there are days I cant go out

Thanks for the reply, I am trying everyday to stand outside my front door and walk a few yards either way up and down my street. I did try and go into subway for food, but couldn't cope with the panic as I went through the door so had to leave. I will try your tips you mentioned, thanks.

Keep at it if only for a little walk each day. Try to stop and notice thongs as you walk.
    My agoraphobia was really bad one summer years ago so I tried to stop and look at flowers .
    Take baby steps but don't give up

Some days I can realise its a trick and that I can carry on walking despite the dizziness, jelly legs, other days my will power is not good enough to fight it. If it was warmer and brighter out it would help, due to the rain and cold it stops me too, as there is a bench close by and I can't sit on it due to the rain. Do you take medication to help? if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks

The weather is a bit rubbish at the min :( .
    No I've never taken meds. I basically just took it day by and now I'm fine as far as the agoraphobia is concerned. I still have anxiety on and off.

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it. I wont give up, I know if I just let go and faced it then I could get better, its just very scary with the panic attacks in shops.

Dont give up and be proud of the steps you are taking. Way to go.!!!

I went a little further today, not been in any shops and that will be the toughest test.

Thread Information