Thread: Possible swollen thyroid

Unhappy Possible swollen thyroid

Wondering if anyone can help ease my worrying. 2 weeks ago I felt a swelling near my thyroid. I only felt it when i brushed my hand over my throat so there was nothing obvious. I have since been to the GP and she said she felt a thickening and saw a slight asymmetry. She said she isn't suspicious but it may be a node or my thyroid acting up. She has actioned an ultrasound and TFTs.

This relayed my fears for a little while but 2 weeks on and I feel stressed beyond belief. I'm almost positive it feels larger than it did, still not obvious on the surface but when I swallow the whole gland (I assume) moves upwards. I have a few sinus issues at the moment but nothing major. I do have some thyroid symptoms and have done since the birth of my son 18 months ago.
    I am going out of my mind with panic and I'm not sure why. I'm 37 and in general am pretty healthy. I don't understand where this fear is coming from, when my own GP said if she was worried she would have to tell me and refer me urgently (she hasn't). My bloods are getting done next Tuesday but am besides myself with worry at the moment. I just want to feel a bit better :(

Re: Possible swollen thyroid

Ok so update. Went back to the GP yesterday as started to get pain from the area. The whole front of my neck feels tight. GP checked me over and I have fluid in my ears and a red throat. Sinus pressure has built up over the last week too. GP is now thinking it is my lymph node swelling to fight off infection. She said herself it has increased in size since last week, still not very visible but can feel it under my fingers easily. It is smooth but feels quite large to me. I still think it is my thyroid as have never had a lymph node swell like this ��

GP is "thinking" it's lymph node swelling? Based on her exam I would think she is doing more than "thinking" and isn't concerned. She'll know more once the test results come back.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 24-11-18 at 15:40.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks for replying. What confuses me is it moves when I swallow and I have done the thyroid swallow test and can see it clearly when I do that. Would a lymph node do the same? It isn't tender to touch but I have had severe muscular pain on that side of my neck and shoulder and this pain started before the lump appeared. Initially I thought I just had muscular pain, which I get very often but then a few days later this lump/swelling appeared and has increased in size slightly since discovering it. Bloods are scheduled for Tuesday, no date for US yet. I just wish I could relax a bit more as I do nothing but think about it now :(

There was someone else on the boards with a similar issue. Even if it does turn out to be a thyroid issue, they're easily treated but the fact your throat is red and you have fluid in your ears indicates some kind of infection. I would hang onto the fact that your doctor isn't concerned. I know from experience that if they suspect something, you're fast tracked and that's not the case here. sounds like CYA medicine (cover your arse) to me.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you for your response. I guess I just think if it were to be a lymph node I would feel more unwell than I do right now. I'm used to having sinus issues as they affect me every winter but never been bothered by swollen nodes before, despite having many URTI's in the past. I really appreciate you replying. This has got the better of me recently and I need to snap out of it. Thank you

Thread Information