Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acid Reflux - Tips for Relief

Acid Reflux - Tips for Relief

As a sufferer of Acid Reflux and Heartburn, I thought it might be a good idea for members to post things that help or even prevent.

I have recently discovered that Gala apples work well for calming acid reflux.

Re: Acid Reflux - Tips for Relief

The FODMAP diet! Good both for reflux and IBS. It's vital to keep a food diary as well and adjuct accordingly to how your body reacts. My wife and I both have reflux issues. This diet has virtually eliminated issues.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I've suffered more with this as ive got older and it's been trial & error discovering what upsets my digestive system and what's ok. It's still a work in progress for me at the moment I have to say, but i've so far identified things like some dairy foods, alcohol...in particular wine (too acidic) and anything that produces alot of gas

There was a time when I could eat more or less anything without any problems, but sadly not now

Cath S

Antacids.

Seriously though, peppermint candy helps in a pinch. Also, unfortunately just cutting way back on those foods that are known triggers for my reflux. Red sauce is a big one for me. So I either skip pizza (yeah right lol) or just accept the fact that I may have to eat a Tums for dessert lol.

Hey, Some lifestyle changes that can help include
    - Avoiding spicy food, alcohol and caffeinated drinks
    - sleeping with you’re head raised
    - stop smoking if you’re a smoker

If lifestyle changes don’t work there are several types of medications that are available. Some can be bought over the counter and some are POM Prescription only. Examples include
    Over the counter:
    - Gaviscon chewable Tablets ( Good for heartburn and indigestion using as PRN as and when needed.

Prescription only:

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) such as Omeprazole and Lansoprazole are stronger and are used in the treatment of Gastroesophageal reflux disease, treatment and prevention of ulcers and heartburn. They are usually taken once or twice daily. Lansoprazole dosage is usually 15mg-30mg daily.

H2 Blockers: They are similar in effect to Proton pump inhibitors and are an effective treatment option for acid reflux especially if it’s chronic and to avoid duodenal/peptic ulcers. Examples include Ranitidine, comes in strengths of 150mg and 300mg

Both types of these medications work by protecting the stomach lining from coming into contact with the acid. This creates a protective layer and thus relieves symptoms and prevents ulcers from forming. Hope this helped

Reference: I’m a Medication Technician in a Hospital

That's interesting information Mike.

Isn't milk good for lining the stomach?
    I remember during my teenage years my friends drinking a glass of milk before going to the pub on a Friday night.

Apart from some foods and drinks, I wondered whether there were other triggers such as stress, worry, nervousness?

Milk, every time, sipped after a rennie.

I'd completely forgot about milk and I remember my mum and gran having milk when they had a stomach ulcer, but I think it has to be pasteurised to be properly effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Isn't milk good for lining the stomach?
    Totally depends. My wife was a life long milk drinker. About the time her reflux really kicked in, she couldn't tolerate it. It made her bloated and caused her to belch horribly. We switched to almond milk and haven't had an issue since. I actually like it better.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I'll give the almond milk a try FMP.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information