Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acid Reflux - Tips for Relief

Re: Acid Reflux - Tips for Relief

It is pb.
    Yes, I have my pillows raised and apparently if you can sleep on your left hand side, that helps too.

Chamomile tea helps to settle the tummy a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Totally depends. My wife was a life long milk drinker. About the time her reflux really kicked in, she couldn't tolerate it. It made her bloated and caused her to belch horribly. We switched to almond milk and haven't had an issue since. I actually like it better.

Positive thoughts
    I know this is an old post, but I think this is what's happening with me at the moment. Out of desperation I cut dairy out for a few days and my symptoms have all but gone! I've read recently that it's common for ladeeze of a certain age to develop intolerances to dairy..

I drink coconut milk and it's lovely in a decaf cappuccino (tastes like Bounty) but it makes my porridge look unappetising...

So that's most bread, cheese, citrus fruits, onions, cabbage, cauliflower, pulses and dairy I can't tolerate now - I think this is the universe trying to remove me.

Hi Nora.

I agree with the dairy, especially cream.
    I'm pretty much the same...
    Onions, tomatoes, most fruits except for apples, anything fried, pastry, anything fatty, anything processed like sausages, beefburgers, mince, defo not spicy, even chocolate.

My acid reflux settled, even over the Christmas, but the last few days I've had a burning throat and discomfort in the chest area. My stomach doesn't seem too bad. Hope I'm not speaking too soon.
    I eat a relatively good diet with the occasionally naughty treat, (who doesn't), but I have this reoccurring flare for no apparent reason. Does anyone else find this?
    Also, is anyone sick with acid reflux, more bile like?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I eat a relatively good diet with the occasionally naughty treat, (who doesn't), but I have this reoccurring flare for no apparent reason. Does anyone else find this?
    Also, is anyone sick with acid reflux, more bile like?
    Gotta have a treat or life would be a slog eh?

Hubs used to barf bile with his acid reflux - especially when he'd been on the beer and chocolate. He doesn't mix the two now, and things have improved since we lifted the bed up at one end...Better still when I pack him off into the other room because he snores!

Thanks for the reply Nora.
    I haven't had chocolate now for 5 days, can you imagine?
    Why does it have to be chocolate, why can't it be something boring like cauliflower. Grrr

Yet another flare-up. Everytime I bend over I feel that sick feeling, then get the burning in the throat and seems to hang around my chest area.
    I'm going to have a go at apple cider vinegar. Anyone else tried it?
    So far I can't eat cream, all circus fruits and drinks except for apples. Anything fried, fatty. Pastries. Anything spicy. And chocolate. :(

Apple cider vinegar cured mine (it's a centuries old remedy).

Do your own research, but reflux is caused by too little acid in the stomach, not too much.

Avoid fried food, too much bread, refined carbs etc. Chinese takeaway is the worst for me, it can set me off for days on end. Deep fried is the worst.

But, reflux is caused by the sphincter not closing properly due to too little acid, not too much. ACV causes the sphincter to close properly and helps raise stomach acid.

There is TONS of information about it online.

Antacids provide temporary relief but keep the problem going, PPI's are a very bad idea long term too (lots of evidence of malabsorption of nutrients as it effectively kills stomach acid) as well as potentially reducing your immune system (which resides in the gut, the first line of defence being stomach acid).

Thanks Ankietyjoe.

Can I ask how you take your apple cider vinegar.
    Do you dilute or use it cooking?

I dilute it in water. Couple of tablespoons in a glass of water, fizzy preferably.

I have it first thing in the morning and about 20 minutes before evening meal.

Make sure you use a good one with 'mother'. Some of it can be expensive, but I'm currently using one by Biona which is relatively inexpensive.

https://www.ocado.com/products/biona...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's not an immediate fix by the way, the first time I used it, it took about 2 weeks to really start working, but once it kicked in it really kept my reflux at bay about 95%. Best used in conjunction with avoiding foods that trigger you. It's different for everybody.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information