Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: In a big rut over abdominal and back pain that’s getting worse

Re: In a big rut over abdominal and back pain that’s getting worse

Aussie, with all those clear scans it just couldn't be possible at this stage. Am thinking of you, I hope you get the test over with as soon as possible.

Tomorrow is the day! Endoscopic ultrasound booked for tomorrow afternoon. They said they should have results by Tuesday. I’m not sure if he will give me any indication afterwards, with previous endoscopies dr has always said straight if looked ok (but I’ve never had this type before). I feel like everything is in limbo until I find out!

So glad to hear you are getting the test tomorrow. My very best wishes.

EUS went well! Dr said nothing untoward seen and there was nothing to biopsy. He is going to treat it as Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction, with medication (Amitriptyline which I’m already on, plus another new one) to try and prevent the spasms. Will go for review in a month. Just so relieved there were no tumours and no evidence of chronic pancreatitis at this point. I will need to stick with strict diet too to try avoid any triggers. I hope the rib and back pain now calms down as I know the anxiety would have been making it worse. I was so anxious that my heart was pounding and doing all sorts of weird fast beats - the pre-op nurse said it was quite irregular, I was worried they were going to say it wasn’t safe to do the anaesthetic!

Oh Aussie, I am so happy for you. That is such good news. I hope you can have a really good rest now and can finally relax after all the stress.

Please keep us posted on how you are getting on.

Back posting about this after a few months fairly anxiety free! So I no longer fear pancreatic cancer thank goodness, but this thoracic and left sided rib pain is really getting me down still. I’ve been able to shrug it off as just some random inflammatory/pain thing for the most part, and have done fairly well in not trying to put it down to something deadly!

It’s there all the time now, for the past month or so, so I mentioned it to my HP and she wants me to have nuclear bone scan. She had suggested it last year but then we went off on different tangent and it seemed to get a bit better for a while. Logically I’m thinking if I had some of this pain 6 months ago, if it was something bad then it is unlikely to have on and off days in that time. However scanxiety has set in as I’m off to have the scan today. I get the results on Friday morning. Just having a vent here. On one hand I’m annoyed with myself for not having the scan back in November when it was first suggested, but on the other hand I’m also annoyed with myself for catastrophising again and not just putting this down to a muscular/general back pain issue!

Hello! I noticed you hadn’t been on here and assumed you were feeling better. So glad you were! I agree with you that if your pain hasn’t worsened in 6 months it is unlikely to be sinister- but scanxiety sucks. Thank goodness you don’t have long to wait. Roll on Friday!

Hi again Jojo, thanks for the message! Yes I was doing so well in stopping the negative thoughts creeping in, pity it couldn’t last. Had the test earlier, now worrying as they did it then the technician said she would just check with the radiologist if he was happy with the images. She then came back and said they wanted to do some more. On the account afterwards I could see that they did the bone scan and then an additional nuclear CT (which I googled and says this is done when they need to see more local detail or if tissue etc is hindering their view of the bones). Sent me into a panic. Fortunately I’ve just found out my son’s vaccination appointment tomorrow is with my normal GP. She’s very helpful so won’t mind me asking if she has my results yet. Will mean I don’t have to suffer scanxiety until Friday!

Myofascial pain can be constant and excruciating, particularly when it involves nerve endings as well. I'm sorry you've had to endure the angst of a bone scan and I hope you soon get some news to stop the worry.

The wait worry is terrible and also unavoidable? Just thank goodness it isn’t long. I find exercise helpful, both as a distraction and reminding myself I am “healthy”. And also it can produce strong bodily sensations that are not the *scary* ones!!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread Information