Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light softer and dark hard stools at the same time?

Light softer and dark hard stools at the same time?

I'm back again...with another worry...The past few weeks I have had weird stools. Part of the stool is dark brown and super hard and there is lighter colored softer stools around it and all mixed together. It's been every day for a few weeks now. The harder parts are like the sizes and shape of walnuts to grape size. (I know this is so much TMI, I'm sorry!) but it's mixed in with much softer lighter brown stools.

I'm also having what looks like pink/browny colored mucus along the sides of it and some mixed in. When I've wiped the mucus on toilet paper, it doesn't look pink anymore. More yellow.

What in the world is going on?!? Does this multi-colored and textured stool happen to anyone else along with mucus?!

I can't wait until my health insurance kicks in at the beginning of the year. I'm so beyond tired of this stress.

Re: Light softer and dark hard stools at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2FourKiddos View Post
    I'm back again...with another worry...The past few weeks I have had weird stools. Part of the stool is dark brown and super hard and there is lighter colored softer stools around it and all mixed together. It's been every day for a few weeks now. The harder parts are like the sizes and shape of walnuts to grape size. (I know this is so much TMI, I'm sorry!) but it's mixed in with much softer lighter brown stools.

I'm also having what looks like pink/browny colored mucus along the sides of it and some mixed in. When I've wiped the mucus on toilet paper, it doesn't look pink anymore. More yellow.

What in the world is going on?!? Does this multi-colored and textured stool happen to anyone else along with mucus?!

I can't wait until my health insurance kicks in at the beginning of the year. I'm so beyond tired of this stress.
    Whoa, this is pretty crazy. I literally just had this a few minutes ago.

The hard bits were dark brown and there was lighter brown soft stools mixed around it, just like you said. And, wouldn't you guess it, mucus as well. Mine was more light brown than yellow, but it's hard to tell the exact color.

I'm in the throes of a pretty severe HA panic, so I'm pretty comforted that someone else is having the exact same problems as me. But I'll tell you this, despite my panic at these symptoms, I've actually had this before. I often see mucus in my stool when it's harder, and have been experiencing that for many years. I've also the lighter soft stool/hard darker stool combo in the past many times as well (once again, despite my current state of panic over it).

My mother, who is a nurse of over 15 years, gets to hear all of my wonderful stool stories, and she has always told me that the color/texture combo can happen when you have older stool lower down the colon that meets newer stool that may have had faster than normal transit times (explaining the lighter/softer characteristics). I trust her, because she's seen her fair share of stool while working the floor at the hospital lol. It makes sense for people like us who are chronically worried/nervous for our bowels to be affected in weird ways.

In terms of mucus, I believe this is normal as well, and seems to be a characteristic of IBS (although I've never been officially dx'd with IBS, but I get IBS-like symptoms when I'm nervous). I also seem to notice it more when my stools are particularly hard, leading me to think it's part of the body's way to lubricate and pass dry ones. I don't know if that's the actual reason, but like I said, I experience the mucus quite often, and have for many years and I'm still here.

Now, if only I could take my own advice and calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypomania View Post
    Whoa, this is pretty crazy. I literally just had this a few minutes ago.

The hard bits were dark brown and there was lighter brown soft stools mixed around it, just like you said. And, wouldn't you guess it, mucus as well. Mine was more light brown than yellow, but it's hard to tell the exact color.

I'm in the throes of a pretty severe HA panic, so I'm pretty comforted that someone else is having the exact same problems as me. But I'll tell you this, despite my panic at these symptoms, I've actually had this before. I often see mucus in my stool when it's harder, and have been experiencing that for many years. I've also the lighter soft stool/hard darker stool combo in the past many times as well (once again, despite my current state of panic over it).

My mother, who is a nurse of over 15 years, gets to hear all of my wonderful stool stories, and she has always told me that the color/texture combo can happen when you have older stool lower down the colon that meets newer stool that may have had faster than normal transit times (explaining the lighter/softer characteristics). I trust her, because she's seen her fair share of stool while working the floor at the hospital lol. It makes sense for people like us who are chronically worried/nervous for our bowels to be affected in weird ways.

In terms of mucus, I believe this is normal as well, and seems to be a characteristic of IBS (although I've never been officially dx'd with IBS, but I get IBS-like symptoms when I'm nervous). I also seem to notice it more when my stools are particularly hard, leading me to think it's part of the body's way to lubricate and pass dry ones. I don't know if that's the actual reason, but like I said, I experience the mucus quite often, and have for many years and I'm still here.

Now, if only I could take my own advice and calm down.

YOU my Dear, are a Godsend!!!! I am so glad to hear that your mom, who knows her poop (literally! LOL) says that this is normal. It's also comforting that someone else is going through this too. I was diagnosed with IBS in my teens. None of these symptoms ever bothered me until I started this doggon health anxiety spiral.

I've had this off and on for years. Not the mucus (that I've noticed) but the two toned stools. It's just been a lot longer that it's gone on this time. You know what's weird....I decided last month that I was going to stop looking. Stop worrying. Stop obsessing, just stop all the madness. And guess what? The mucus and pains stopped. I've had these weird pinching/mild pains inbetween the bottom of my ribcage to my appendix area and sometimes around in my back. The pains all but disappeared. And now that I noticed mucus again, they're back. Along with tingly hands, chest pain, all of my joints ache, tingly feet.

Last week I had "MS and ALS". This week it's another colon cancer "flare up". And now, because I've worried about both things, I'm starting to wonder if there is just a tumor in my brain somewhere that's making my whole body freak out.

I'm exhausted. I appreciate your reply. There is something so so comforting about hearing that someone else has the same symptoms and worries. (Not that I wish this health anxiety on anyone!) I hope hearing that I'm going through this too has brought you some comfort as well. It's weird because I was going to ignore this and not allow it to take over. But I kept getting a nagging feeling to post about it. Maybe it was to be able to help each other?

YOU my Dear, are a Godsend!!!! I am so glad to hear that your mom, who knows her poop (literally! LOL) says that this is normal. It's also comforting that someone else is going through this too. I was diagnosed with IBS in my teens. None of these symptoms ever bothered me until I started this doggon health anxiety spiral.

I've had this off and on for years. Not the mucus (that I've noticed) but the two toned stools. It's just been a lot longer that it's gone on this time. You know what's weird....I decided last month that I was going to stop looking. Stop worrying. Stop obsessing, just stop all the madness. And guess what? The mucus and pains stopped. I've had these weird pinching/mild pains inbetween the bottom of my ribcage to my appendix area and sometimes around in my back. The pains all but disappeared. And now that I noticed mucus again, they're back. Along with tingly hands, chest pain, all of my joints ache, tingly feet.

Last week I had "MS and ALS". This week it's another colon cancer "flare up". And now, because I've worried about both things, I'm starting to wonder if there is just a tumor in my brain somewhere that's making my whole body freak out.

I'm exhausted. I appreciate your reply. There is something so so comforting about hearing that someone else has the same symptoms and worries. (Not that I wish this health anxiety on anyone!) I hope hearing that I'm going through this too has brought you some comfort as well. It's weird because I was going to ignore this and not allow it to take over. But I kept getting a nagging feeling to post about it. Maybe it was to be able to help each other?
    I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm currently worried about pancreatic cancer, so I've been looking at my stools way too much. I tried to commit to reducing the detective work, but its tough. In terms of feeling pains and sensations, I've been experiencing abdominal pains all over... brief, but they're there. And I didnt have them until i convinced myself i was dying of PC. Sometimes it's hard to tell where the separation between anxiety and reality begins, which is what i find the most exhausting part of this anxiety disorder.

My right sided pains didn't start for me until I started worrying about cc as well. And they aren't strong pains. Not even enough to make me even notice them much. Very dull and come and go. It's just that they are there. And a constant off and on reminder that something isn't right. It's weird, sometime's they will be up closer to my ribs, sometimes around the side, sometimes by my belly button. I would think after a year of this that the pains would get worse right?

(I've spiraled a bit this morning. I noticed the brownish/reddish mucus on and in my stools again)

It's weird too, it only looks reddish on my stool. If I take a q-tip and wipe in on toilet paper, it doesn't look reddish colored anymore. More yellow. Have you had this color mucus?
    Last edited by Mom2FourKiddos; 29-11-18 at 15:58.

If I take a q-tip and wipe in on toilet paper....
    You do realize this behavior of closely examining poo is abnormal? Are you getting help for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

My right sided pains didn't start for me until I started worrying about cc as well. And they aren't strong pains. Not even enough to make me even notice them much. Very dull and come and go. It's just that they are there. And a constant off and on reminder that something isn't right. It's weird, sometime's they will be up closer to my ribs, sometimes around the side, sometimes by my belly button. I would think after a year of this that the pains would get worse right?

(I've spiraled a bit this morning. I noticed the brownish/reddish mucus on and in my stools again)

It's weird too, it only looks reddish on my stool. If I take a q-tip and wipe in on toilet paper, it doesn't look reddish colored anymore. More yellow. Have you had this color mucus?
    I have. My guess is that your actually seeing tinges of brown in the mucus, but it's just dilated or something. That's just a guess though. From my understanding, mucus is really only a problem if you're seeing blood, but even that could be from a hemorrhoid or something like that. But I think the mucus has to be pretty excessive to indicate a potential issue.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You do realize this behavior of closely examining poo is abnormal? Are you getting help for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts
    Some people just like to conduct science experiments lol.

Also, Mom2, this thread has loads of people going through a similar mucus fear. Seems like a common issue. We can't ALL be dying of CC can we? (...right?)

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=217082

Now that's funny right there! ~lol~

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post

Positive thoughts
    Oh I am super aware of how abnormal it is. I do need to talk to a Dr about my anxiety. It's been too much anymore. And yes, science was my best subject in school.

Can I just say, when I got the notification on my phone that you responded to one of my posts, it felt like a celebrity had responded! LOL

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

I have. My guess is that your actually seeing tinges of brown in the mucus, but it's just dilated or something. That's just a guess though. From my understanding, mucus is really only a problem if you're seeing blood, but even that could be from a hemorrhoid or something like that. But I think the mucus has to be pretty excessive to indicate a potential issue.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

Also, Mom2, this thread has loads of people going through a similar mucus fear. Seems like a common issue. We can't ALL be dying of CC can we? (...right?)

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=217082
    I know, the checking is terrible. It just scared me so see that reddish color again. And your science experiment comment made me laugh.

That thread is very comforting. And yes, you're right...

Oh I am super aware of how abnormal it is. I do need to talk to a Dr about my anxiety. It's been too much anymore. And yes, science was my best subject in school.

Can I just say, when I got the notification on my phone that you responded to one of my posts, it felt like a celebrity had responded! LOL
    Oh sheesh... really? I'm glad you recognize it. I'm like my cat. I go, flush and run! Seriously though... Since my cancer, I've not had normal poo. I go from constipation to the runs and everything in between. I have reflux and diverticulosis which flared up bad the beginning of the year. It is what it is. I just eat right and take my meds.

Positive thoughts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information