Thread: weird flutter lasting five seconds?

Red face weird flutter lasting five seconds?

Hi Everyone, I am New here! It is nice to meet everyone.

for the past three years, I have had heart palps, usually round during the week before a period. I am 44 years of age.

I go to the doctor regulary, every three months for blood testing ( type 2 diabetic) I take metformin and a low dose of blood pressure med.

I know I have health anxiety, have had it for several years now. I finally graduated and kicked Dr. Google to the curb..that was the WORST thing ever! If anyone is reading this..dont ever google symptoms! go see real dr.

My main issue is heart palps however. I imagine having health anxiety is not a very good combo. I get skips once in a while, more racing than none. My job even though part time is very physically demanding and stressful at times. My doctor listens to my heart each time, never says anything..Of course I am terrified to even talk about them in fear of really kicking my anxiety in. the last time when he listened to my heart he asked if I had chest pain..of course no was the answer, but that kicked my anxiety through the roof! He didnt say anything after that, perhaps he was only curious.

last night I had the most weirdest palp ever..it was this massive fluttering..and I shot right out of my chair, then started the shake then heart pounding...felt hot..etc. There was no more flutter after that. I calmed down quite quickly, Ive learned to keep most of my issues from going full blown panic attack.

But this flutter was like..ok this is it..Im going to drop dead feeling. And yet, after a good sleep, I am still here.

Do any other women out there has this right before their period? It is total misery for me till it starts. Any words of guidance or reassurance would be a blessing. Thank you!

Re: weird flutter lasting five seconds?

I get this all the time, though for me the feeling is caused by PVCS and PACS.. It is certainly worse in the week before my period... Normally when it happens to me it's because I have a couple of PVCS in a row.

Not sure if this would be the cause for you but it certainly sounds like it.

I'm 34, have had panic disorder for 14 years, on zoloft, 125mg. Otherwise healthy I'm actually on my period now and I've experienced so many heart palps/missed beats that like you every time it happens this bolt of fear (adrenaline) shoots me right out of my seat. I've read that is normal to get more heart palps during your period but I'm starting to wonder if my heart is healthy. They say that anxiety can cause heart palps but what if it's the heart palpitations causing the actual anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipitous View Post
    I'm 34, have had panic disorder for 14 years, on zoloft, 125mg. Otherwise healthy I'm actually on my period now and I've experienced so many heart palps/missed beats that like you every time it happens this bolt of fear (adrenaline) shoots me right out of my seat. I've read that is normal to get more heart palps during your period but I'm starting to wonder if my heart is healthy. They say that anxiety can cause heart palps but what if it's the heart palpitations causing the actual anxiety?
    Since palpitations just means ANY time a person is aware of their own heart beat, they can be caused by anxiety. Anxiety often increases the heart rate and most people notice that and so they are experiencing palpitations... but not all palpitations are the result of anxiety though they certainly can provoke it.

I used too get them on and off all day,they feel scary.Once I got my anxieties under control they backed off to maybe 2 palps a day.
    Too be sure too be sure get some tests done.

Hi just a thought but there’s a possibility that at 44 you’re going through perimenopause as this can start up to 10 years before your periods actually stop. Increased palpitations are a common symptom during this time especially during the premenstrual phase I think they’re triggered by the drop in oestrogen at this time. Lots of info on perimeno symptoms on the internet, also have a look at the York Cardiology videos on Youtube-really good. X

Thread Information