Thread: HA is back; this time, head injury/brain fluid leak

Unhappy HA is back; this time, head injury/brain fluid leak

Hi all,

I've actually had my health anxiety under control for a few years, but since the passing of my grandmother, it's gotten a lot worse. It started with a reaction to the flu vaccine that led me to being misdiagnosed with cellulitis, leading to antibiotic reactions and a really fast heartbeat, which led me to worrying about my palpitations & PVCs.

And now this.

A few days ago, I hit my head on the trunk of my car, not a big deal, but I worried about having accidentally caused bleeding internally or something. Cut to yesterday, when I'm doing the laundry. I go to get a dryer sheet, go to stand up, and hit my head on the door. Now I'm in full freak out mode. Constantly monitoring my pupils, constantly making sure I'm thinking OK. I feel a little brain-foggy, but I didn't have any blackout/nausea/vomiting as with a bad head injury.

This morning, I've noticed some liquid coming out of my nose, so of course I think it's brain fluid (CSF leak). This is somewhat new, I haven't had allergies recently. It isn't gushing out or anything, just a little dribble. I'm constantly on the lookout for weird / salty tastes, and I'm freaking myself out. :(

30/M for what it's worth.
    Last edited by swans; 29-11-18 at 18:15. Reason: add demographic info

Re: HA is back; this time, head injury/brain fluid leak

no one? :(

I don’t know what to say other than that I’m sure you’re ok. You didn’t black out, you don’t have a severe headache or sickness.
    Your nose is running because that’s what noses do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose all that's true; I made the mistake of consulting Dr Google and found instances of people who had brain fluid leakage for years :( it's kinda terrifying. Especially since it makes you more likely to get meningitis, another illness my HA has made me obsess about.

I never seem to notice until HA flares up, but I've noticed a lot more liquid in the back of my throat than normal, and I have been getting some headaches. I am just not sure where to go to even have this checked - are they going to look at me like I'm insane?

The stuff in the back of your throat is, in my opinion, much more likely to be the result of something such as post nasal drip / allergies / etc. If you're concerned about this leak - which is terribly rare - ask your primary doc.

Quote Originally Posted by swans View Post
    I made the mistake of consulting Dr Google
    But of course and now you're here asking a group of strangers to talk you down.

Let me ask, did you know it was a mistake BEFORE you googled? I'm betting you did.

If you're seriously thinking you're leaking spinal fluid, get to the dr. and when he tells you it's just a runny nose ask him for help with your anxiety.

Thread Information