Thread: Kidney infection or back issues? Help, please.

Kidney infection or back issues? Help, please.

Hey there,

I have had this left-sided back ache/ discomfort for the past week, and it's making me feel concerned about my kidney. I'll admit, the only reason I am worrying so much as opposed to before is that I saw the dreaded 'Sepsis' attached to cases of kidney infection possibilities, and it has freaked me out.

It is a near-constant sort of ache, an inch or two from my spine, just below the ribs - that sort of area. I have had the same sort of ache/ pain/ discomfort before, in the same place, and it has been on and off for about almost eight years. So really, I feel I should be comforted by this, but I am now constantly thinking I have a kidney infection despite no other associated symptoms (fever, shakes, painful urination etc.). I would also not say it is 'painful' (maybe a 2 or 3 out of 10), but more that no position is comfortable whatsoever. But perhaps it doesn't need to be really painful to be an infection, just noticeable.

I am twenty-three, female, and in good health as far as I know. (I haven't been to the doctors for two years now, as I completed therapy for HA and Anorexia last year, so decided to not go unless absolutely necessary.)

Could this be a kidney infection despite having no previous symptoms leading up to it? (I've read you usually have a lower UTI issue before it reaches your kidneys, but I am not wholly sure!)

Any replies would be appreciated!

Re: Kidney infection or back issues? Help, please.

Very unlikely to be a kidney infection Hun, I’ve had loads of kidney problems over the years due to a condition I was born with and you do tend to get a fever etc and it’s really painful !! Could it be period pains? Pulled muscle? Something more along those lines ...

Re: Kidney infection or back issues? Help, please.

Like the poster above said kidney infection=fever. It's not that. Have your urinary patterns changed? Less urine, swollen ankles, urinary urgency? If so go to the doctor, if not it's just an old spinal defect, and it's been 8 years, it's not going to change, I get aches like that because when I was born they pulled me roughly from the birthing channel, my spine is a mess but it won't kill me.Sometimes losing weight helps so the spine bears less weight. You are fine.

Thread Information