Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to stay calm whilst waiting for tests?

How to stay calm whilst waiting for tests?

Hi,

I'm waiting for some tests (scan and cystoscopy). I'm trying hard to let my anxiety take hold.. but I'm struggling. I'm snapping at people and am internalising my worries and feeling every little niggle in my body.

So, what do you do that works to stay calm and focussed before and during tests?

Thank you

Re: How to stay calm whilst waiting for tests?

I listen to music, watch a film, play with my son, watch comedy and sport.

What really saves my life for tests is getting some diazepam from my GP.

A week ago Wednesday i had 90mins of solid tests, i couldn't take diazepam for this but it was tests were i didn't feel to trapped with no escape.

Tuesday i had a nuclear scan that took 1hr 45mins and no way could i have done it without diazepam.

Yesterday i had an ultrasound and loads of blood tests. I didn't need as much diazepam for these as the nuclear scan but did need a little.

Is diazepam or some sort of benzo an option for you? Have a word with your GP?

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    What really saves my life for tests is getting some diazepam from my GP.
    Yeah, that's what I was going to say. After my cancer I had to go every three months for tests and exams for the first three years. I developed "scanxiety" as I had a 50/50 shot at the cancer coming back. I was fine for the most part but around two weeks prior to the appointments I would get edgy and really irritable. Doc gave me chill pills (Buspar and a benzo as needed) and that really helped.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you both. I haven't taken anxiety meds for a few years, but I do have a few 5mg diazapams that were prescribed for when I had a breast lump abscess biopsied. Do you think that's an ok dose? I actually hadn't thought about meds...I can't really take them before as I'm due to give a big talk tomorrow (ironically I'm a public speaker - not a problem for me at all). A friend suggested tapping...which may help for today and tomorrow. And then maybe a diazapam for the scan.

Fishmanpa - yes I understand scanxiety. Not to anyway the same level as you do. I had lots of pregnancy losses and scans were always devastating (I now have baby twins). I'm trying to tell myself not to worry until I'm told bad news - if I'm told bad news. But it's hard to ignore the niggles...

I think a 5mg dose sounds fine and will certainly help you stay calmer.

Good luck with the tests and I hope they bring you reassurance and peace of mind.

Thank you pulisa. I hope the tests go ok too... Struggling to stay positive... Even if I know that statistically the chances of it being cancer are so low... I need answers as to why I have persistent blood in my wee.

Does anyone have any non-medication tips for getting through it/reducing anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by spacebunnyx View Post
    Does anyone have any non-medication tips for getting through it/reducing anxiety?
    Have you looked HERE?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi fishmanpa - I get that there is a search function - thank you. I'm just wondering what people that currently use the forum have done in the past to help themselves.

I'm trying to make quite a positive and helpful post (rather than reassurance seeking)...

I find I am calmer when I am in the middle of a good book....
    Good luck
    X

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information