Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
The only thing you can really do is just get on with driving and live with the anxiety while you do, it's the crux of CBT and any form of recovery.

Even if it means driving for 20 miles whilst feeling anxiety, just keep control of your breathing and carry on.

Nothing bad will happen, you'll just feel bad.

I used to have exactly the same thing, in fact my first ever experience of panic was sitting in slow moving traffic on the M25.

Maybe have a few sessions of driving on the motorway with your husband in the car, but this time don't pull over. Just allow yourself to experience through the anxiety and keep on driving. It'll come and go, but just let it be.
I completely agree with this.

There's just one thing that is difficult for us anxiety folk. When you're in a state of panic you're thinking about all the possible bad things that could happen such as "what if I pass out and crash?", "what if something happens and I collide with another car?". In that situation there is no rational thought.

But on the flip side if you're fit and well you have no option but to push through it. The brain has 2 parts. One is the part that's going crazy. The other is the part that's keeping you alive and safe while you drive. Science can laugh at me all it wants but when you've lived with anxiety all your life you know this to be true.

Trust me, you'll be fine. Relax, and persevere.