Thread: Prozac and alcohol

Prozac and alcohol

Hello everyone.
    I recently got a prozac perscribed due to depression and anxiety ive had for quite some time. Im also a kind of an alcoholic, before prozac I used to drink around 8 beers a day, but now on prozac I cant really drink. Its hard to quit cold turkey so now Ive moved to 2-3 beers while on prozac. Is this harmful, even though I have no additional side effects?

Re: Prozac and alcohol

Hi viking,

Good work on reducing the drink. Were you drinking more as a self medication thing? I ask because you have done a lot to greatly improve your anxiety over the years and I'm wondering if that is associated with the reductions you have made in alcohol?

Moderate alcohol use with various meds is ok although given this is a daily thing it is definitely a question to your doctor and for them to be monitoring the situation. Alcohol can cause an additive effect with your med which may mean you experience the symptoms associated with that (dizziness, impairment in thinking, motor skill impairment, etc) but given your use is daily it would be best to put this to a pharmacist to be sure.

Thanks for your reply. The reason I started drinking was mainly depression and DPDR I couldn't cope with at the time. I've been drinking more than moderately for aproximately a year now and Ive already noticed addiction symptoms. Ive also noticed that it is a lot easier to cut down on alcohol use while on prozac, but it still might take a lik bit of time for it to go away fully.
    I'll try to work on it.

How have you got on, viking? You've come a long way with your anxiety and I hope reducing the alcohol further is manageable.

Thread Information