Thread: Reddish brown mucus in stool

Reddish brown mucus in stool

For the last two days, I noticed a small amount of reddish/brownish mucus in my stool. I was having stomach cramps too, which went away after I went. The rest of the poop looked normal color, shape, etc. I figured the cramps were from the beans and curry I ate the night before. I’m so afraid it’s bowel cancer because I have left sided rib pain for the last several months that doctors believe is costochondritis. Please help me calm down, I’m freaking out! I’m a 36 year old female, although it’s rare, it’s not impossible. Has anyone had any experience like this? I have a doctor appointment in a couple of weeks but need reassurance now.

Re: Reddish brown mucus in stool

sorry to state the obvious, but could it be poop mixed with mucus? I get mucus fairly frequently. I've had blood in the past too - was nothing. You could get yourself a FOBT online.... that's what I've done in the past...

It could be just poop but it looked more reddish than the rest. Admittedly, I took toilet paper and sorted through it and then it looked like just poop. There was very little to look at it was like two little strings, so the sample size wasn’t very large. Sorry, I’m gross like that. ������

---------- Post added at 09:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

Also, what is a “fobt.”

I went to my GP. She examined me and determined that it was either hemorrhoids, which she saw, or all the popcorn I ate on Saturday night and Sunday. She said if it’s still there on Monday to call. She also thought the picture didn’t look like blood, just mucus. The picture I swear dulled the redness and didn’t do it justice, bah! I’m so scared to poop again!

Update - it went away and now it is back, but this time there is a lot of it. It seems more benign of a color than before but still it there are globs throughout my stool. Has anyone ever had this? I am also getting over some kind of a mild flu, could that be related?

ive never had this but i wouldn't worry about it. Try and eat more fibre to keep your colon healthy!

Thread Information