Thread: The things google suggests sometimes...

The things google suggests sometimes...

So, while I am still dealing with my anxiety, specifically about my heart, it is amazing how an innocent search can try to swing you down the wrong road..

I noticed the socks I chose today are making me itch a bit, and I noticed the elastic was leaving some impression (the elastic is pretty strong). So, I did a quick search to see what socks are better at not leaving an impression. The first page of results was almost literally all articles about peripheral edema, and how swelling can be a sign of heart problems.

It's funny, because:
    1 - I can feel my akles are at the thinnest they have ever been, and I can feel that they are not swollen ( I can unmistakably feel the bone, and muscle structure, with no feeling of just fluid).
    2- my blood pressure medication (amlodepine) is known to cause edema, and does not mean my heart has failed (which IS my big anxiety).

Now, I know the reality is everyone gets sock lines.. it's not some guaranteed sign of death. But it is a stark reminder of just how easily search results can get skewed to the worst...

Re: The things google suggests sometimes...

Both my parents have had edema due to their BP meds. It's very obvious when you see it. My dad now has to cut his socks to make them fit.

It's true though, it's just a search engine so will pull whatever is out there. If what's out there is about illness, back it will come.

The reality is what you said at the start, tight socks. They probably itch because of that. However, I have noticed my skin is much itchier since starting BP meds and my mum had lots of problems with allergic itching on her legs whilst they messed about trying to find the right combo.

I switched from one BP med to Amlodipine due to the side effects, the awful non stop itching. But this one is causing similar issues again for me despite the side effects going after an initial period so I'm having to use antihistamine. I do think these meds have made my skin more sensitive to things like fabrics too.

See, i am on amlodepine, and was warned edema could be a problem. In my case, i dont see it at all (like i said, my feet and ankles are smaller than i have seen em before). I am also taking lisinopril (for my blood pressure and lvh), but have managed to avoid the dreaded cough too, so maybe i am just lucky.

All that said,the real frustration was that edema and heart failure was no where near my search.. i simply searched for better socks, and got nothing but results telling me how i must have edema and its in my heart. Now, i KNOW better, but as a HA, it is still frustrating to see such sensational results given to a search like that...

I would imagine that nobody has ever cared enough about sock lines to have dedicated a webpage discussing how normal they are. So whatever IS on the internet about them is going to be of the non-normal variety. You're going to find info on circulation issues - which will eventually lead you to heart issues. You end up expecting a heart attack any minute when you should just change your socks.

Thread Information