Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about a section for those not on medication?

What about a section for those not on medication?

Not sure where to post this, but I wondered if there was any thought given to a natural recovery section around here? (Thoose who use therapy, behavior modification, etc.) Not just therapy... because that section is filled with medication use as well. But, a section or threat specifically geared towards the many who don't use meds and their journey and specific needs?

Thing is... those who do take meds might still like to visit and learn from them, as well.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I realize non-med-users are the minority on this forum, but not on MOST forums.
    Perhaps the community could become more diverse with this option?

Re: What about a section for those not on medication?

Have you seen this?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks Fishmanpa
    I often have people not on medication asking me for advice, which is hard to give & always includes asking them to see a Health Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Have you seen

Positive thoughts
    Thanks Fishman. I did see that. Helpful but that’s is still more of a quick fix than a recovery process thread. (All of the threads are about supplements.)

What I think would be great is a section dedicated to those working through the problem organically without using the bandaid of meds. No offense to anyone who uses meds. It’s a personal choice.

But for so many who have recovered, the only true path was med free and using behavior and acceptance. Plus some people don’t tolerate meds.

Would be a kind gesture to dedicate a forum section to them.

Imagine being someone who didn’t tolerate meds here and perhaps new it all?
    Could be quite disheartening to have every thread devolve into dosage talk. It could make someone feel hopeless.

Just a thought. I wonder if admin ever considered this simple gesture?

But what are the alternatives? Those natural remedies aren't a quick fix as supplements typically take a long time to show any benefit. For example, I had issues with my shoulders from lifting weights years ago. I started taking Glucosamine Chondroitin for it. It did work but it took a couple of months before I really reaped the benefits.

CBD oil (which I use for chronic pain) has had a more immediate effect and many claim that it's good for anxiety as well.

Again, what are the alternatives other than self help through free online resources like the CBT course offered here? IMO, for those that can't tolerate meds or refuse to take them, it leaves little choice. Real life professional help, self help and natural supplements. There's also common sense natural remedies like proper nutrition and exercise but as seen here, many are too deep in the rabbit hole to apply these to their lives.

There's no reason one can't start a thread in the natural remedies section to discuss what they're doing and what's working and there have been a few but like other sub-forums here, they get swallowed up by the HA section and those deep in the rabbit hole.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I'd be ok with a section like this, since I'm non-med. Things like talking about how self-care helps - sleep, exercise, nutrition etc., meditation, thoughts, behaviors. Perhaps even discussing what is going on in our therapy sessions if people are willing to divulge. How habits affect anxiety (good or bad). Things like getting support from those around you. Apps for tracking. What our anxiety cues/triggers are. If supplements are considered non-med then that too.

I can think of all kinds of topics for a section like this. I think it would be more beneficial than only seeing the "Do I have X" posts, which definitely reinforces the ability to detect those thought patterns but not much else.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I'd be interested to follow this section if it were to be introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    But what are the alternatives? Those natural remedies aren't a quick fix as supplements typically take a long time to show any benefit.....
    Hi Fishmanpa,

There are two schools of thought with recovery from stress disorder:

1. It's a "thing" that must be "managed" by using external thigns like medications, oils, herbs, chanting, tapping, etc.

2. Stress disorder is the result of stress, it came on naturally and it can only leave when those elements are dealt with... naturally.

Yes, things like exercise and diet help, no matter what your mindset.

But the Natural Remedies section is still full of people looking for fixes outside themselves. (Oils, pills, etc.) And some may find magic in those things.

Many of us don't, particularly if we buy into the science from anxiety giants like Claire Weekes who taught us the root of panic/stress disorder.

The great thing about a simple dedicated area is... if someone believes anxiety is a sickness that must be medicated away, they simply wouldn't waste their time in that section.

However, if someone holds a different view... they'd be able to hold conversations about recovery methods and strategies without it always coming back around to "what are you on.... I'm on this... I take this much of that... I changed last week to this... etc."

Seems fair, right? I ceratinly can't see why anyone would be opposed to it.

---------- Post added at 06:58 ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jray23 View Post
    I'd be ok with a section like this, since I'm non-med. Things like talking about how self-care helps - sleep, exercise, nutrition etc., meditation, thoughts, behaviors. Perhaps even discussing what is going on in our therapy sessions if people are willing to divulge. How habits affect anxiety (good or bad). Things like getting support from those around you. Apps for tracking. What our anxiety cues/triggers are. If supplements are considered non-med then that too.

I can think of all kinds of topics for a section like this. I think it would be more beneficial than only seeing the "Do I have X" posts, which definitely reinforces the ability to detect those thought patterns but not much else.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Well said, and the great thing is... it's not as if those other forums are going to go away. There will still be places to ask "do I have X" and "what are you taking" for people to use. It's an additiion, not a subtraction... in concept.

I think this is a good idea, it would be interesting to read how people are trying to tackle these issues without being on medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    I think this is a good idea, it would be interesting to read how people are trying to tackle these issues without being on medication.
    Agree Hollow. A few interesting points about this topic...

-The biggest experts on anxiety/stress disorder almost all believe recovery is possilbe (if not more likely) without medication

-Even those who promote a "half and half" strategy (meds and therapy) generally will tell you think think behavior modification is the long term answer.

-Few out there besides drug companies seem to believe meds are the ONLY way to recover.

And to be the biggest reason to add this forum..

-Those on meds CAN learn from people who are not.

The biggest strides I've made in my recovery have been learning from people like Claire Weeks, Paul David, etc.

And finally...

-Those new to the condition should be able to read information to make a choice. If you ONLY see meds as an option here - a newbie might think..."oh no, I'm doomed unless I medicate myself."

I wish we could have a poll on the main page. Few people see this section.
    Hopefully the mods will consider this at some point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information