Thread: Excercise or stress

Excercise or stress

I am 42. I have perfect bp, low resting heart rate (about 53-58), I eat well, I excercise daily, and I am in perfect bmi. I drink 4-5 beers a week, no coffee, and very little meat.

I spent 2 months alone in Ukraine. This was a very stressful time for me and it triggered(?) or at least made ectopic beats noticable to me. At first I thought they were associated with eating because they happened after that, but about 3 weeks ago I realized I was skipping beats and now they happen more consistently throughout the day. I am prone to health anxiety.

Since then, I spiraled into a black hole of Dr Google. I am back home now for the past week and have seen my doctor. This is my GP who did an EKG (normal), and blood work (slightly elevated calcium, we will check this again in 4 months).

Ok to my concern. I get that the ectopics are likely benign, but I am hesitant to work out to a high heart rate. I did a little yesterday, and then obsessively felt my pulse, and while I didn't notice ectopics on my pulse, I had that feeling...the sinking feeling, and a couple times where my heart felt like it was flipping around. Now...was this my normal response to intense excercise? I don't remember. I cycle a lot at home, but while in Ukraine it was all just long walks.

Planning on asking the GP for a stress echo this week, but looking for input here.
    Thanks for reading.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Re: Excercise or stress

This is all anxiety.

I let myself get into the trap of checking pulses all the time, to the point where it kept me sedentary for nearly 4 years. Trust me, this isn't a place you want to be in. At 47, it's bloody hard work getting out of it.

I was once told by a GP that unless caused by actual heart disease, skipped beats and/or palpitations are 'medically insignificant'.

It's something you have to just look past, and carry on as usual.

Meditate daily, lower your exercise intensity for a little while (only so the stress you're under can pass) and just let it be.

Thank you for the response. I totally agree with you, but as we all know, rationally knowing is not the same as not having anxiety about it.

I will take your advice to heart. Sorry for the pun it was actually unintended, but I will leave it there.

I really feel for you...I am having an issues with ectopics and weird heart sensations too. I am having an ECG shortly at the GP surgery. It is really getting me down and cant enjoy life at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Josht View Post
    Thank you for the response. I totally agree with you, but as we all know, rationally knowing is not the same as not having anxiety about it.

I will take your advice to heart. Sorry for the pun it was actually unintended, but I will leave it there.

It's very difficult to rationalise without knowledge of other's situations and experience too. I recall it scaring the bejeezuz out of me when it happened to me.

By all means get things checked by a medical professional, but once they give you the all clear try and focus on THAT, not on the daily sensations that happen trying to tell you those tests are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    It's very difficult to rationalise without knowledge of other's situations and experience too. I recall it scaring the bejeezuz out of me when it happened to me.

By all means get things checked by a medical professional, but once they give you the all clear try and focus on THAT, not on the daily sensations that happen trying to tell you those tests are wrong.
    Yes for sure. This forum had helped.

I think I might wait another week before more medical tests. Give myself time to think about something else before diving back in to the stress of what could possibly be happening.

I removed my pulse display from my Fitbit and am committing to no more web searches. Yesterday was a good day. We will see how today goes.

Checking pulse and Google are the anxiety suffers worst enemy. It's too east to do, and serves absolutely no purpose other than to exacerbate and promote more anxiety. There is no upside to checking.

Had the works today, EKG, echo, stress echo. All normal. Had a few pvcs at the start of excercise, none at high heart rate, but several after I had to suddenly stop the treadmill and lie down.
    The cardiologist seemed uninterested and unconcerned. Guess that is a good sign.
    Now to find out the cause. Food journal and tracking timing. So far, simethicone seems to help, but time will tell.
    Thanks for the input.

Thread Information