Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Low Blood Sugar Feelings Per Day (Blood Sugar Levels Normal)

Re: Multiple Low Blood Sugar Feelings Per Day (Blood Sugar Levels Normal)

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    When I said this is an issue with your blood sugars - what I meant was they are going too low. That is hypoglycaemia. This would not be detected by a blood test UNLESS you had a finger prick test during your symptoms. The only thing I can suggest is you buy an Accu-Chek monitor and prick your finger when you experience these hypos.

The symptoms you describe, which are relieved by eating IS hypoglycaemia. Diabetes does not cause this, it causes the opposite which is hyperglycaemia. The symptoms of hyperglycaemia are completely different.

The only way diabetes could ever cause your symptoms is if you were injecting insulin.

If your Hba1c is normal, you can rule out diabetes. But certainly multiple hypoglycemic episodes each day in a non diabetic deserves follow up with your doctor
    I probably should have been more clear but for the majority of the testing done on it, even this week I am using the finger prick tests, with a ReliOn Glucose meter. I did it on saturday night I think when I was feeling this symptom, and my blood sugar was 95 mg/dl. I've tested it in the mornings when I have the symptoms (because it used to be only when I'd be late to a meal or something like that), I'd eat candy, get my sugar above 100...and the symptoms still wont go away until I eat a certain amount of actual food. The lowest I've ever seen on a meter is 72 mg/dl. Usually its in the 80s or 90s when im feeling this. It doesnt go too high after meals either.

I think we are posting at the same time Trbfan

I too use a monitor during these moments and it's always been normal. As I said I wonder if it's possible we are triggering symptoms at a higher blood sugar level than other people. I just don't know tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    I think we are posting at the same time Trbfan

I too use a monitor during these moments and it's always been normal. As I said I wonder if it's possible we are triggering symptoms at a higher blood sugar level than other people. I just don't know tbh.
    Could be, but even then I've gotten my blood sugar with candy and doing that doesnt do much to help it. Usually from what I've read that only happens with your blood sugar running high on average. Which I have no evidence of that happening at all.

The stomach issue with maybe acid reflux messing with the vagus nerve is interesting. My vagus nerve has always been sensitive

72mg/dl is indeed within normal limits (had to check as in the UK we use mmol/L) This translates to 4.0mmol/L

Are you making sure your hands are washed clean before you take the reading? I know when I had these episodes, and measured with my device, I was mildly hypoglycaemic.

Extremely strange symptoms

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    72mg/dl is indeed within normal limits (had to check as in the UK we use mmol/L) This translates to 4.0mmol/L

Are you making sure your hands are washed clean before you take the reading? I know when I had these episodes, and measured with my device, I was mildly hypoglycaemic.

Extremely strange symptoms
    Yea I try to make sure they're always cleaned..Generally when this happens it tends to be around 80 to 85 mg/dl, 72 was just a few morning readings before eating anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Trbfan View Post

The stomach issue with maybe acid reflux messing with the vagus nerve is interesting. My vagus nerve has always been sensitive
    This is the theory I'm most interested in as it ticked a lot of boxes for me when I heard about it. Exact same issue with very low blood sugar feelings and completely normal blood results DURING symptoms. Eating brought me relief too, but I highly suspect that it was just because my stomach now had something in it to stop the acid causing irritation. Of course it returned so fast once the food was digested. Hiatal hernias can irritate the nerve, and heart too. They're surprisingly more common than people think and can happen in young, fit healthy people. I'm pretty sure I have one but my doctor won't order an endoscopy, just keeps telling me to take antacids or drink a sweet drink when I feel the weakness and trembling. That never helps, in fact it almost makes it worse as my stomach acid goes crazy. I also wondered if I had a H Pylori infection in my stomach, which again, gp hasn't tested for. Both of those things contribute to excess acid getting up into your oesophagus and causing irritation.

I do hope you can find some answers soon for your own peace of mind because I know how dreadful it feels. Sometimes I feel like I'm actually going to die when it happens. Like you, I don't think anxiety is the direct cause for these weird symptoms, but either a response or contributing factor to the severity of the feeling, ramping things up and inevitably making your body feel even worse. It's too easy for a gp to pass everything off as plain anxiety, especially with something as odd as this set of symptoms. Edit - I don't believe all gp's are completely bereft of knowledge, or that I know more than them, but I often feel like I'm not actually getting listened to if my symptoms don't fit in a neat box. I've had some wonderful doctors who have solved issues for me in the past. Sadly on the NHS, the same gp is rarely available when I have appointments. Just want to make sure I'm not saying they're all terrible!
    Last edited by WorryRaptor; 12-12-18 at 18:15.

Quote Originally Posted by WorryRaptor View Post
    This is the theory I'm most interested in as it ticked a lot of boxes for me when I heard about it. Exact same issue with very low blood sugar feelings and completely normal blood results DURING symptoms. Eating brought me relief too, but I highly suspect that it was just because my stomach now had something in it to stop the acid causing irritation. Of course it returned so fast once the food was digested. Hiatal hernias can irritate the nerve, and heart too. They're surprisingly more common than people think and can happen in young, fit healthy people. I'm pretty sure I have one but my doctor won't order an endoscopy, just keeps telling me to take antacids or drink a sweet drink when I feel the weakness and trembling. That never helps, in fact it almost makes it worse as my stomach acid goes crazy. I also wondered if I had a H Pylori infection in my stomach, which again, gp hasn't tested for. Both of those things contribute to excess acid getting up into your oesophagus and causing irritation.

I do hope you can find some answers soon for your own peace of mind because I know how dreadful it feels. Sometimes I feel like I'm actually going to die when it happens. Like you, I don't think anxiety is the direct cause for these weird symptoms, but either a response or contributing factor to the severity of the feeling, ramping things up and inevitably making your body feel even worse. It's too easy for a gp to pass everything off as plain anxiety, especially with something as odd as this set of symptoms. Edit - I don't believe all gp's are completely bereft of knowledge, or that I know more than them, but I often feel like I'm not actually getting listened to if my symptoms don't fit in a neat box. I've had some wonderful doctors who have solved issues for me in the past. Sadly on the NHS, the same gp is rarely available when I have appointments. Just want to make sure I'm not saying they're all terrible!
    Yes..Another thing I've thought of is a stomach ulcer, I thought of hiatal hernia as well because I've had sympoms of it in the past, a few months ago my doctor felt around on my stomach and didnt feel anything but I dont know how accurate that is. I've also got a bit of pressure frequently under my ribcage at the bottom of it, and I know its contributing to me being able to feel my heartbeat more in my chest and stomach and other strange feelings. Its almost like theres an added pressure somewhere between my chest and stomach that makes everything else more sensitive.

I have had acid reflux in the past a little bit, I have always had more issues with gas/trapped wind. But I know my heart rate has been picking up a lot for seemingly no reason too, also mostly seperate from anxiety, seems more positional. Also I feel weird when I bend over and lift stuff..heart will pick up when I bend a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Trbfan View Post
    Yes..Another thing I've thought of is a stomach ulcer, I thought of hiatal hernia as well because I've had sympoms of it in the past, a few months ago my doctor felt around on my stomach and didnt feel anything but I dont know how accurate that is. I've also got a bit of pressure frequently under my ribcage at the bottom of it, and I know its contributing to me being able to feel my heartbeat more in my chest and stomach and other strange feelings. Its almost like theres an added pressure somewhere between my chest and stomach that makes everything else more sensitive.

I have had acid reflux in the past a little bit, I have always had more issues with gas/trapped wind. But I know my heart rate has been picking up a lot for seemingly no reason too, also mostly seperate from anxiety, seems more positional. Also I feel weird when I bend over and lift stuff..heart will pick up when I bend a lot.

They say any kind of bloating/swelling/inflammation in the stomach area can irritate the heart and vagus nerve. Maybe its all stemming from gastric issues. Im wondering of its the same for me. I get a racing heart too, after eating, sitting down too quickly, even stretching. I get awful palpitations and ectopic beats and I really wonder if its caused by acid. Mine can get quite bad then calm down for a while. Maybe worth asking your gp to look into the possibility of a sliding hiatal hernia? Ive mentioned it to mine but he brushed it off and gave me antacids which arent working.
    Edit-just as I typed this, my heart skipped a few times and I had that awful blood sugar drop feeling. I just had food seconds before they started. Thankfully it passed in minutes this time but theres been episodes where that feeling lasts all day. There HAS to be a connection with the stomach.
    Last edited by WorryRaptor; 16-12-18 at 13:46.

Did you manage to get any answers for these symptoms? Just wanted to check in! Hope all is well

Following along with interest..... same symptoms, same blood test results. I have owned a home blood glucose monitor for over 20 years because I've suspected I'm a reactive hypoglycemic for decades. I can check my blood before a meal, during a meal, right after, 2 hours after, during episodes, it's always right where it should be: picture perfect. So then why do we feel so awful!?!?!

The only time I've had relief from this is when I eat a very low carb / high fat diet, but that gets hard to maintain long term, and when I start eating carbs again, I start eating more and more, and the lousy "low sugar" episodes start again. So the answer is obviously to lower my carbs and avoid sugar but easier said than done.

My symptoms come on the same way, in the same order, each time: I will be eating something and all of a sudden I get a jolt of dizziness, almost knocks me off my chair. Then the intense anxiety kicks in, then I have to rush to the bathroom URGENTLY (I have colitis) and then I am completely exhausted to the point of falling asleep sitting up if I let myself. If it happens when I'm not sitting, I feel as if I'm going to faint so I always bend over or sit down so I don't crash and fall. I've never actually fainted but it feels like I'm so close to doing so.

Is reactive hypoglycemia a real thing? When I've mentioned it to doctors they wave it off, kinda like adrenal fatigue.
    Sue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information