Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going crazy with fears of oral cancer..

Going crazy with fears of oral cancer..

Hopefully someone can help me or relate. I have had a bad cold last week and felt pain in my upper right jaw region, like a wisdom tooth pain. I didn't check then where the pain was coming from and left it alone (felt too miserable to check). The pain went down a bit and so I decided to check yesterday. I couldn't see anything, so I started to touch the place where it hurt for a few days.. I found a hard painful round ball,or bump it's smaller than a pea but hard and very painful! But again, can't see anything. I'm now terrified it's mouth cancer or something! It just won't leave my mind. Every time I search it up, there is nothing to be found except cancer.

Another reason why I didn't bother checking before is because on my right lower jaw is actually a wisdom tooth growing and hurting (but I'm not afraid of that).

Anyone can help me? Am I doomed..?

Re: Going crazy with fears of oral cancer..

Are you feeling the wisdom tooth? How old are you?

I can see and feel the wisdom tooth on the lower jaw yes, but the little round bump that im talking about is on the upper, well not on the jaw but in the roof of the mouth in the soft part.. I am 27 years old.

A statistic that helped me was that I have a 2 in 100,000 chance of having oral cancer at 34. I bet your stat is even lower.

Do you use tobacco or have HPV? If not, I think your chances are almost nonexistent.

When do you see your dentist again for your cleaning?

I smoke yes, tried many times to quit but failed. I will try again of course but that's not a excuse.

I have visited my dentist last September, going again in March

Painful usually is a good clue it's an infection.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

You have to remember too that the substrate the bump is on is very hard, so it could just be hard because it's got tooth behind it

~Sigh~... must be oral cancer week

No, you or anyone else here has described anything like oral cancer. Obviously you see the irony of having this fear and smoking?

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 12-12-18 at 00:44.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Didn't you say it was on the roof of your mouth?

@rmq, it's not exactly on the hard part though, it's next to it on the softer part, when you have the last molar on the top right, there is a softer part below/next to it. In that area is where I have/feel this. But yes it was and is now again painful because I touched it too much. I am going to leave it alone now.

@Fishmanpa, it's a fear because I can feel a hard thing there but I can't see anything. I was so stupid to not check it out when it first started hurting but I didn't want to go through this anxiety again and thinking it was cancer (which I already do now) and I felt too sick. If I had checked earlier, maybe I could've seen something that's now maybe recovering. But there is nothing to be seen! I can only feel it.. Plus I can only think that a hard, painful bump (which is pea sized.. Maybe a bit smaller) that doesn't move, can only be cancer. As for the smoking, yes I do need to quit and have tried many times and really will do my best to try again but these fears aren't helping that much right now. You are saying that what I describe is not cancer but I can only find cancer on the stupid internet...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiatyrah View Post
    You are saying that what I describe is not cancer but I can only find cancer on the stupid internet...
    Nuff said. If you're that concerned, go see a medical professional "Told Ya So Gang" on standby.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information