Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 months of bowel symptoms, terrified of cancer

8 months of bowel symptoms, terrified of cancer

Hey all, 38 year old male. In 2013 I had a couple months of constipation and mucus. Begged the gastro to do a colonoscopy and she did to make me feel better. Completely clear.

Fast forward to 2018. Since April I've had almost daily symptoms: sometimes weeks of constipation (never gone longer than a day without a bowel movement but they're clearly hard dried stools), sometimes ragged looking stools, sometimes mucus, sore achy lower back and sides, and constant, CONSTANT, daily gurgling and noise in my bowels. Constant. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've had a pretty much normal looking stool. Nothing I've tried helps. Went back to the gastro in July and she was adamant I didn't have bowel cancer. Kept saying "you had a colonoscopy in 2013. This isn't how bowel cancer works. You have IBS and it can last for years, unfortunately". But that was back in July. I think she has to be wrong. This can't be normal. I refuse to believe symptoms could last thing long without something being seriously wrong.

Right?

Re: 8 months of bowel symptoms, terrified of cancer

IBS affects your whole life. My mom has suffered with IBS her whole life. She constantly has either diaherra or constipation. When she's stressed it goes into super sayen mode.

Bowel cancer is rare in itself and if you've had a scan and everything, it's all good.

Does bowel cancer run in your family? Did they find any polyps during your colonoscopy? If the answer to these questions is no, then the chances of bowel cancer coupled with your age are slim to none. Bowel cancer is extremely slow growing which is why the recommendations are for a colonoscopy every 10 years for those at low risk. Your symptoms sound like IBS which is much more common. IBS causes the symptoms you are describing and it can be long lasting. The duration of your symptoms doesn’t imply it is something more serious. It may also be IBD—Chrons or ulcerative colitis. If you had never had a colonoscopy before, I might offer different advice but because you have, you won’t need another for 5 more years (and even that will put you ahead of the recommendations).

Quote Originally Posted by Worrywart84 View Post
    Does bowel cancer run in your family? Did they find any polyps during your colonoscopy? If the answer to these questions is no, then the chances of bowel cancer coupled with your age are slim to none. Bowel cancer is extremely slow growing which is why the recommendations are for a colonoscopy every 10 years for those at low risk. Your symptoms sound like IBS which is much more common. IBS causes the symptoms you are describing and it can be long lasting. The duration of your symptoms doesn’t imply it is something more serious. It may also be IBD—Chrons or ulcerative colitis. If you had never had a colonoscopy before, I might offer different advice but because you have, you won’t need another for 5 more years (and even that will put you ahead of the recommendations).
    Yeah there's no family history and no, they didn't find any polyps. So you really think I'm worrying too much about this? If it's not colon cancer why won't it stop? Don't IBS symptoms abate for awhile?

No, IBS can be chronic and long lasting until appropriate treatment is undertaken—that may mean changing your diet, changing lifestyle habits, MANAGING STRESS, or in extreme cases medication.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Worrywart84 View Post
    No, IBS can be chronic and long lasting until appropriate treatment is undertaken—that may mean changing your diet, changing lifestyle habits, MANAGING STRESS, or in extreme cases medication.

I keep telling myself it's IBS. Not sure I'll ever believe that at this point.

I don’t mean to be crude at all but trust me if your able to have a bowel movement albeit dry your doing better than I am often my ibs will make sure it’s 2/3 days before I can go. It has been more than that in the past too. Then it can go the other way.

My bowel is never quiet either, and I’m always gassy - it’s my own fault I know what triggers me but sometimes (often) I indulge and accept the consequences. Mucus is extremely common for me too, I’ve had A LOT of it in the past also.

My mum also has IBS and believe me it can be ‘bad’ without being serious. Please feel free to ask me any and all questions about things that worry you, between my mum and I, we have had it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

This is definitely IBS, there would've been a sign of a polyp or abnormality 5 years ago, since it takes about 5 years (I think) for a polyp to turn into cancer and probably even longer for it to grow, so you'd have seen back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight-mouse View Post
    I don’t mean to be crude at all but trust me if your able to have a bowel movement albeit dry your doing better than I am often my ibs will make sure it’s 2/3 days before I can go. It has been more than that in the past too. Then it can go the other way.

My bowel is never quiet either, and I’m always gassy - it’s my own fault I know what triggers me but sometimes (often) I indulge and accept the consequences. Mucus is extremely common for me too, I’ve had A LOT of it in the past also.

My mum also has IBS and believe me it can be ‘bad’ without being serious. Please feel free to ask me any and all questions about things that worry you, between my mum and I, we have had it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey there have your symptoms ever lasted this long? I'm going on 8 months without any real relief.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information