Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here remembers AZ? And rabies fear...

Re: Anyone here remembers AZ? And rabies fear...

Quote Originally Posted by Double_Rainbow View Post
    Can somebody PLEASE explain to me, WHY the following scenarios aren't possible - given that bunnies are not vaccinated against rabies in the US. I am in Florida, we have quite a bit of rabid animal reports lately.

1. Bunny being outside (in a playpen or whatnot) being bit by a rabid bat.
    2. Bunny being outside (maybe in the fenced backyard) being attacked or licked by a rabid wild animal such as raccoon.
    3. Bunny being bit by a rabid pet dog or cat.... this isn't likely, given the mandatory rabid vaccinations for cats/dogs. Still, many people don't vaccinate their pets so this isn't impossible.
    Respectfully, it's because they're simply figments of an anxious mind and very vivid imagination It really is as simple as that. There was one here where someone felt a drop of liquid hit them and was convinced it was from a rabid bat in a tree. This is a kin to that as well as the invisible bats, dog licks, cat scratches etc.

Go read some of the other rabies threads and your response to others and ask yourself if your scenario is any more realistic.

Hope you feel better soon!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

[/QUOTE]---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

[/COLOR]Can somebody PLEASE explain to me, WHY the following scenarios aren't possible - given that bunnies are not vaccinated against rabies in the US. I am in Florida, we have quite a bit of rabid animal reports lately.

1. Bunny being outside (in a playpen or whatnot) being bit by a rabid bat.
    2. Bunny being outside (maybe in the fenced backyard) being attacked or licked by a rabid wild animal such as raccoon.
    3. Bunny being bit by a rabid pet dog or cat.... this isn't likely, given the mandatory rabid vaccinations for cats/dogs. Still, many people don't vaccinate their pets so this isn't impossible.

PLEASE! and Thanks a lot![/QUOTE]

Now that's kind of silly don't you think? ANYTHING is possible, is it likely?

No.

There's nothing we can say to turn your HA off. If you're convinced you may have rabies, go to your dr.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Respectfully, it's because they're simply figments of an anxious mind and very vivid imagination It really is as simple as that. There was one here where someone felt a drop of liquid hit them and was convinced it was from a rabid bat in a tree. This is a kin to that as well as the invisible bats, dog licks, cat scratches etc.

Go read some of the other rabies threads and your response to others and ask yourself if your scenario is any more realistic.

Hope you feel better soon!

Positive thoughts
    I read other rabid threads, and yes most of them seem fictitious. However, mine involves a real bite, not an imaginary one. Although taken one step further, a rabbit bit by a fictitious bat or a raccoon is the same thing.

I just found a paper from 2016 by CDC. According to it, only one small animal - a squirrel - (of many squirrels, mice and rabbits tested) has ever tested positive for rabies in Florida. It was a wild flying squirrel. Not a pet bunny.

Thanks for your support Fishmanpa! I just need to survive until tomorrow and have a more detailed chat with the daycare owners about the bunny's history of being outside, and see it too. Despite all the rational reasoning, I am still terrified.

NancyW, I went to a doc and without success. I am afraid the truth is that I am not getting a vaccine unless the bunny is either killed and tested positive, or dies/gets sick in 10 days of observation. None of that sits well with me but it is what it is.

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

The uncomfortable truth is that my exposure is considered very low risk for rabies, but my anxiety disagrees. So my mind is trying to tie all sorts of impossible stories to make it appear more scary. And that disagreement is what's causing me so much emotional suffering.

My Goodness, it is so damn hard! I concentrate on it and my head is exploding with 1001 negative scenarios, I am going NUTS! I didn't sleep much but three hours last night, I am hoping that my body would be kinder on me this night as I need to work tomorrow and take care of 3 kids!!! I am exhausted but on edge so IDK what gives. I just wish there was someone to talk to, my bf doesn't say much, just repeats, I already told you - there is no way you have rabies.

This is a real bummer.

Well, one way you think is - how many bunnies are dying from rabies AND how many people have been reported as contracting rabies from a bunny that has been infected by another animal? Can you think of anything about it? It sounds pretty rare to me.

On the waiting recommendation, I think that NervUS means is to apply a waiting period. Running for a shot is a compulsion therefore feeding the cycle. Applying a waiting period could be seen as an Adaptive Strategy, something taught in CBT. It is still challenging the thoughts and it is teaching you to tolerate the anxiety you feel over it. So, some exposure therapy in there too. The idea should also be to get to that deadline and decide you don't need to check because the fear has subsided enough for you to accept it.

It would be great not to worry for 2 weeks but lets face it, you wouldn't be on here with anxiety if you could dismiss it so easily. Therefore training yourself to tackle situations better so that in the future you can dismiss them is a way forward. Checking is often a compulsion but it's about reasonable levels of checking rather than trying to provoke the fear cycle with checks, feeling you have no choice but to check or doing them too much.

Update. This morning, I saw the bunny sitting there as usual, healthy and happy. The owners were understanding, they said that they will monitor it and I can monitor it too, and if they see it getting sick they will let me know immediately. She says to their knowledge she has never been outside or been bit by anything. I feel better now. Only a week more to go and I can hopefully put this behind me.

MyNameIsTerry, you are absolutely right, my friend. That is why waiting is so HARD for someone battling HA (or any A for that matter), because the prize is not to let the rational thinking rule, but to give into a compulsion immediately. Waiting period breaks that cycle. I agree about checking too, I am into compulsive checking [of course] and my goals are not to NOT check at all, but to keep it to a reasonable level. In this case, perhaps taking a brief look at that bunny once a day, as opposite to running there every hour as my mind wants. Checking can be a real nightmare too; at my worst, I can spend several hours a day (yes, several hours a day, meaning at least 2) checking a bump on skin, or a scab, or a mole. Sometimes checking itself creates health problems, ie now I have a self-created sore in my nose from checking for nasopharyngeal cancer, which further feeds anxiety (now I think that sore is cancer). At that level, not checking at all is not an immediate realistic goal. But reducing the checking is. Thanks for your reply!

---------- Post added at 08:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 ----------

During my life, I have been bit and scratched by countless cats, domestic and feral (in the third world country mind you, not in the US), bit by several squirrels (in the US), licked and scratched by countless dogs. I have been feeding raccoons and other wildlife all the time. Not a single time a thought about rabies crossed my mind, and somehow, I managed to survive. And now that little confined bunny that has zero odds of having rabies nipped on me, and I am nearly disabled with panic. I already lost 4 days of my life that I will never get back. I was ready to subject myself to a gruesome series of shots, for nothing. When I see an animal all I can think of is rabies. Even with my dog, who I know is 100% vaccinated and had no exposures whatsoever, I am more cautious now. If HA had its way, I would have confined myself to a sterile room doing nothing else but having medical tests and cancer scans every week. What a life this is. I hate HA.

If HA had its way, I would have confined myself to a sterile room doing nothing else but having medical tests and cancer scans every week. What a life this is. I hate HA.
    What are you doing to treat it?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

What are you doing to treat it?

Positive thoughts
    Yesterday I have restarted zoloft, after more than a year of break. I know that 150mg works well for me so the goal is to work up to that. Even 50mg is already enough to take the edge off.

I also used to do CBT for more than a year, until we moved. It helped a lot as well. We will be moving back in a few weeks, so I will call the therapist in the New Year to restart the sessions.

Meanwhile, I just need to survive the next few weeks until zoloft kicks in and I can get back into therapy. My problem is I tend to delay treatment until crisis happens, like this one with rabies, or the one with melanoma 3 years ago. At that point, the train is going full speed and it's impossible to stop. I don't use benzos or any of that stuff, so just have to sit tight and hope that this too shall pass...

Yesterday I have restarted zoloft, after more than a year of break. I know that 150mg works well for me so the goal is to work up to that. Even 50mg is already enough to take the edge off.

I also used to do CBT for more than a year, until we moved. It helped a lot as well. We will be moving back in a few weeks, so I will call the therapist in the New Year to restart the sessions.

Meanwhile, I just need to survive the next few weeks until zoloft kicks in and I can get back into therapy. My problem is I tend to delay treatment until crisis happens, like this one with rabies, or the one with melanoma 3 years ago. At that point, the train is going full speed and it's impossible to stop. I don't use benzos or any of that stuff, so just have to sit tight and hope that this too shall pass...
    Good going on taking action. I often say these are just words on a screen and it's up to the individual to act on them. Glad to see you did! If the Zoloft is already helping, it will only improve from here. Keep up the good work and check out the free CBT workbooks here.

Positive thoughts

Good going on taking action. I often say these are just words on a screen and it's up to the individual to act on them. Glad to see you did! If the Zoloft is already helping, it will only improve from here. Keep up the good work and check out the free CBT workbooks here.

Positive thoughts
    Thanks for your support Fishmanpa! I appreciate it. I have to get treated because otherwise I will probably end at the mental hospital one day with the mental breakdown. Forum helps too, it helps a lot to read and vent and feel better!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information