Thread: Worried about colon cancer bloody stool

Worried about colon cancer bloody stool

Hey! I'm only an 18 year old girl, but my grandpa has had this disease so it runs in the family. I haven't had any recent pain or anything, but it appears that there has been blood in my poop on and off for a few months.

My stools tend to be brown but theres orange/reddish hues on the toilet paper and at the base of my poop a orange liquid. They're not sticky or oily seeming or anything. I had problems with pain in my front left lower abdomen that they discovered was related to my colon but they said the problem was it was too full any nothing more. The pain was constant for months but has since then gone away.

I know I have health anxiety but I'm pretty scared nonetheless. I'm going to set up a doctors appointment soon to try and sort this out but I work every day this week so idk when I'll get the chance. Just hoping someone could share their personal experiences because I noticed that colon cancer is a popular fear people have mentioned on this forum.

Thanks!

Re: Worried about colon cancer bloody stool

There's many less serious things that could cause this, but I can understand you being anxious. It could just be mucus sort of stuff that you get with IBS (I have had this on and off for years), or you could have hemorrhoids or little fissure etc. It's always good to run it by your doctor, but it's very common to have these sorts of things as you would see from various posts on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyeb27 View Post
    Hey! I'm only an 18 year old girl, but my grandpa has had this disease so it runs in the family.
    At what age did he have it? It can only be considered possibly hereditary if he was diagnosed under 50 years old.

I haven't had any recent pain or anything, but it appears that there has been blood in my poop on and off for a few months.

My stools tend to be brown but theres orange/reddish hues on the toilet paper and at the base of my poop a orange liquid. They're not sticky or oily seeming or anything. I had problems with pain in my front left lower abdomen that they discovered was related to my colon but they said the problem was it was too full any nothing more. The pain was constant for months but has since then gone away.
    The "orange-reddish hues" on the toilet paper can be hemorrhoids or anal fissure. I had a lot of experience with both unfortunately, and anal fissures are notorious for this. You don't even need to have pain in the anus, all you see is a tinge of blood on the paper when you wipe. I tend to have those more when I am anxious, because I strain.

Now, "orange hues" in the poop are not from blood. Blood is RED, not orange. It can also be tar black, but again, never orange. What you describe sounds like IBS (I have it, IBS-D is a pain to deal with), or possibly something like colitis. By all means go have it checked but what you describe doesn't sound like cancer at all to me.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

The pain was constant for months but has since then gone away.

I know I have health anxiety but I'm pretty scared nonetheless. I'm going to set up a doctors appointment soon to try and sort this out but I work every day this week so idk when I'll get the chance. Just hoping someone could share their personal experiences because I noticed that colon cancer is a popular fear people have mentioned on this forum.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The fact that your pain has gone now points away from colon cancer. The pain wouldve worsened dramatically over time in a typical colon cancer case. I work in the field.

There isn’t anything wrong with being checked out by your GP. Please keep us posted. Sounds like hemorrhoids or anal fissure to me. Also, stools would typically be tarry and black. Bright red blood is almost always hemorrhoids.

Best wishes.

Thanks for all your replies! My grandpa was diagnosed well into his 60s or 70s and hes fine now. Ill definitely focus more on the possibility of hemorrhiods and anal fissures. You guys have eased my mind until I see my doctor thank you.

Hey! I'm only an 18 year old girl, but my grandpa has had this disease so it runs in the family. I haven't had any recent pain or anything, but it appears that there has been blood in my poop on and off for a few months.

Thanks!
    Hi,

I'm also 18 and have been experiencing similar problems, also for a few months.

Obviously colon cancer is extremely rare in 18 year olds and most hospitals have never even treated anyone with that sort of cancer who's 18.

and the fact that the pain has gone away is a good sign- colon cancer pain wouldn't go away for months.

My advice is for you to set up a doctor's appointment, mention the family history JUST SO they feel more inclined to give you some tests and PUSH for tests. Don't let them just say "oh it's piles" (unless they actually SEE or feel piles) without them doing at least the basic tests NOT BECAUSE you have cancer, but because if symptoms recur then you'll just keep going back and you'll spend MONTHS like I have worrying when whatever it is could've been diagnosed way before, if only they'd given you tests.

But yeah it sounds just like hemorrhoids or it could be colitis or something innocent like that.

Have you actually seen any blood? Or just the orange stuff? That could be mucus (I'm not sure though).. but yeah just go to the doctor, see what they think and go from there. It's very unlikely to be anything malignant though!

Thread Information