Thread: Having health anxiety over dogs health

Having health anxiety over dogs health

So I just came back from the vet because my dog was having issues with his urination. Anyways, the doctor things he’s having urethra spasms and a urinary tract infection.

He prescribed him with prazosin 1mg as well as UTI antibiotics.
    Now, the vet said the prazosin is typically used for lowering blood pressure, and heart related conditions as well as urethra spasms. He said that he might pass out or go unconscious if it drops his blood pressure too low.

I am SO worried about giving Him the prazosin. :( anyone ever had to use this or given it to a pet?

Re: Having health anxiety over dogs health

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Oooo gosh, no I haven't, I hope someone here has used it. I do feel for you, I get very anxious if my pets (babies) need medication - as they aren't able to tell you if they are feeling odd or having side effects. Its only when it becomes really obvious that you know something isn't right. I have my own fear of medications and it transfers to the animals quite smoothly . I just did a quick search on this medication used in veterinary medicine, and yes, the three uses are blood pressure, congestive heart faliure and urethral spasms. Are you on any dog forums at all (sorry I'm not) where you could get a bit more information and some positive stories of its use?

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Oooo gosh, no I haven't, I hope someone here has used it. I do feel for you, I get very anxious if my pets (babies) need medication - as they aren't able to tell you if they are feeling odd or having side effects. Its only when it becomes really obvious that you know something isn't right. I have my own fear of medications and it transfers to the animals quite smoothly . I just did a quick search on this medication used in veterinary medicine, and yes, the three uses are blood pressure, congestive heart faliure and urethral spasms. Are you on any dog forums at all (sorry I'm not) where you could get a bit more information and some positive stories of its use?
    Hi Carys, thanks for much for responding xx
    I’m jist like you, my health anxiety transfers to my animals and even my loved ones. I have only given him his antibiotics and not the scary meds yet. I’m not on any dog forums, do you know of any good ones?

Hiyer, I don't use a dog forum, sorry, I've tried doing some searches for you but not coming up with any obvious posts on this medication. Hows things there with pup?

I'm a member of a couple dog forums - dogforum.com and dogforums.com (original names, haha) but I'd recommend a Reddit forum if you're wanting more answers because they're probably more active.

I haven't given my dog this med but I can understand why you're concerned, though I'm sure everything will be just fine. Did your vet give you any advice on what to look for that might suggest an adverse effect?
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Hello everyone and thank you for all of your thoughtful responses!

Two days ago I gave my dog two doses of Prazosin. One in the morning and one at night. Although, my vet said 3 in the morning and 3 at night which I think is an absolute crazy amount. He was just very sleepy and didn't do too much those days other than sleep.

I think even two pills were too much for his tiny body. Overnight he would poop and pee in his sleep (sorry for the tmi), my vet recommended that we just give him half a pill in the morning and half in the evening and he might even be on this pill for the rest of his life because this issue might be neurological.

Im going to be checking out the forums for dogs that everyone has recommended, so thank you!

I'm just so happy that he really hasn't had any extreme side effects from the pill.

Hi Jenn

I think quite a few of us will identify with how worrying it is when a pet is not well.

I have done a bit of digging around and it would appear that this is quite a low dose so there should be little chance of it causing your dog blood pressure to drop too low.

Why not give them a call to ask if you can half the dose initially if that makes you feel better about giving it.

I can only imagine how painful his spasms must be and sadly the antibiotics can only treat the infection not the spasms.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Thread Information