Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GP Surgery keeps hassling me.

GP Surgery keeps hassling me.

I just wanted some feedback from other members to see whether they experience the same thing with their GP Surgery.
    Firstly, I don't rush to the GP if I have a cold/flu or virus and I am not taking any meds.
    And because I only go when I feel it is necessary, I am being bombarded with phone calls, texts and letters demanding I go because I have not been for about 2 years. And I just don't understand why.
    I never been a person to attend doctors regularly and a ten year period what not be unusual for me. My father was the same.
    I suffer with mental health and they can't help me with that. It's out of their depth.
    They are now saying unless I attend, they will wipe me up the books. Can they do this?
    You may well say just go, but now it's to the point that the receptionist has been so rude to me, that it has affected anxiety to the point where I am frightened to go and worried it will push my BP up high and then they will have a reason to suggest meds and tests.
    I have been in tears this morning and the receptionist was horrible and even though I explained my high anxiety and panic attacks, she dismissed it and shouted at me demanding I make an appointment which felt like she was bullying me. She also said I need to provide utility bills for their records and I don't have any as it is all in my Partner's name and give him the money but no record in my name. She said that this is needed for me to continue being a patient.

Re: GP Surgery keeps hassling me.

Not quite sure where you stand on this one - is it a small practice, or is it maybe worth going back and seeing if another receptionist is on on a different day. I'm terrified of visiting the GP, and hearing from them always makes me panicky even if it's for perfectly innocent reasons, so I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now.

Might it be possible to have a chat to one of the practice nurses and explain your situation? They might be more sympathetic.

BlueIris, thanks for replying.
    I actually don't think it is anything to do with my well-being at all. I think it is a paperwork thing and to do with NHS cutbacks. But honestly, I get dozens of calls, texts and letters asking me to attend an appointment even though I feel no need to go and I tell them this. It's built up into a major fear of mine now because of the harassment, when before I reasonably ok with going.
    My old GP retired and I don't like his replacement, so there's another reason.
    I wonder if they can dismiss me for not going regularly. Maybe new rules and a slightly gestapo approach has been born?

I'm sure it's just about the paperwork, but if you can chat to a friendly face there maybe they can make a note of this and get the harrassment to stop?

BlueIris, my partner already did that for me, but in the last month I have had 2 emails, a text, a letter and 3 phone calls. I don't understand what they are trying to do to me? :(

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

I can only surmise that they intention is to get patients off there books if you don't attend regular appointments. They have always pushed meds with me, but I don't take meds, never have done.
    Is it possible I don't earn them enough money?

That's awful, but I suspect I know why they're doing it - if they don't see you every so often they won't receive funding for you as their patient.

Do you have any idea why they need you to book an appointment? It might be one of those things it's easier to get over with. I'd suggest changing GPs, but that would also entail more checks and appointments and would probably be equally stressful.

I have decided to write them a firm letter in hope they will stop hounding me and making my life even more anxious than what it already is.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

I think so BlueIris.
    My Partner has already emailed them about this a few months ago. Despite that, I have received 3 emails, 2 texts a letter and 3 phone calls in the last month and I know it will continue, I just know it will.
    So, I have decided to write a firm letter, which may result in losing my GP Surgery altogether, but that could be their intentions all along.
    I don't take meds, so maybe I am not making them enough money?
    Whatever, I can't have this worry and what feels like harassment.

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Oops, think I posted similar post twice.
    See what a mess they have got me in.!

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

Apparently they want me to go in for no particular reason. Just to see the GP.
    Yes, you are right about changing Surgery, but this one I can walk to, but now have no faith in.
    They don't understand anxiety, they have admitted that and refer you to NHS therapists with a waiting list as long as your arm, leg and the deep blue sea!

I didn't see my GP for years but I was having prescriptions. But before that I must have gone the best part of 10 years without seeing them.

As I understand it, striking patients off is a last resort. Anything online seems to be about the breakdown in relationship or violence issues.

I wonder if they are doing a clear up of patients to get rid of anyone that shouldn't be there? But even so, this seems excessive and worthy of a complaint. And that receptionist seems like she is using threats to achieve a box being ticked.

They can't strike you off for complaining anymore, not easily anyway, they have rules against that as can be seen on sites online. That was the old days when people were afraid to even contradict their doctors for fear of it. Thankfully the NHS Charter is more about patient involvement in decisions.

Have you thought of giving PALS a call? They deal with disputes with GP surgeries if you can't complain to the practice manager (but I think you have to choose to do one then can't do the other, it explains that on the PALS pages) so they could easily tell you whether this is appropriate for a surgery.

I didn't know you could be penalised for NOT going..I presume it's a very small practice? Maybe they are threatened with closure or amalgamation?

It is your right to be registered with an NHS GP no matter how infrequently you attend. I do hope you can sort this out with a letter to the Practice Manager. It's really bad of them to harass you like this.

Here in the States, it's common to go for a yearly wellness check up. It's common sense health wise to do so anyway. There are many common ailments we get, especially as we age, that may require treatment or meds. Heck, it was at a yearly check in my late 30's that the cholesterol and BP issues that ran in my family were discovered in me.

I go yearly and I have to anyway as I'm on a half a dozen prescription meds and everything has to be evaluated.

That said, it's not unusual for them to contact you several times as reminders. Discontinuing being a patient is a personal decision but in all honesty, I think a yearly wellness exam is a good thing.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 18-12-18 at 14:44.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information