Thread: MRI this aft ... feel the panic rising ...

MRI this aft ... feel the panic rising ...

This sub-forum seems to be pretty deserted these days, but I've got a lot of nervous energy and finding it impossible to focus on work so ... here I am.

Brain MRI today. Doc sent me as a "probably nothing, symptoms likely anxiety, but sometimes it's good for reassurance". I thought he was sending me to reassure me that I didn't have MS (which is my #1 fear), and then he mentioned brain tumour ... unprompted. So, sheesh!

Symptoms:
    • Tingling in left hand (~going on 5 months) - on and off, but more there than not
    • Weakness/burning in left arm
    • Sometimes similar tingling feeling in left leg/foot - def less noticeable than the hand, but there.
    • Discomfort in left eye (~4 months) - feels different at different times, frequently "testing" my vision (which seems totally fine, left eye seems to be clearer than right, actually), feels dry/stinging, sort of pressure-y

My main concerns are that this is all one-sided, on my left side. And the eye thing is really annoying and impossible to just ignore.

I've actually been relatively HA-panic free the past 3-4 days ... and so rational me is like, "Good to get this checked out; probably nothing", but HA me is in here too, screaming, "OMG, what if they FIND something!"

I feel pretty flippant and nervous/silly about it at the moment. Waiting period before I get results should be fun. :/

(To add to the craziness of doing this right before Xmas, my 88 yr old father has something concerning docs in his lung, so: a PET scan this Fri (CT w/ sugar), a brain MRI next Fri (between the holidays - awesome), and a through-the-back biopsy the week of New Year's.)

Hope everyone's doing well.

Re: MRI this aft ... feel the panic rising ...

Good luck!
    Let me know how it went. I’ve got a pelvic one tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    Good luck!
    Let me know how it went. I’ve got a pelvic one tomorrow.

Hope yours goes well, too, Scass!!

Just got a call from my doctor's office. He wants to set up an appointment to discuss the results of my MRI. He specifically told the nurse to tell me it's not urgent, and that I'm not to worry.

I set the appointment up for as soon as possible, which was next Friday. I'm feeling surprisingly not all that anxious about it ... which is good, but then I worry I'm not worried ENOUGH.

I'm figuring "not urgent" means it's likely not an unruptured brain aneurysm, but it could be any of the following: brain tumour, MS, neck/spine issue.

Or, there’s nothing at all to discuss apart from your anxiety. It’s not urgent so unlikely to be anything serious x

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasia View Post
    brain tumour, MS, neck/spine issue.
    Seriously? You don’t think your doctor would consider a brain tumor urgent?

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    Seriously? You don’t think your doctor would consider a brain tumor urgent?
    Honestly, I'd think nothing much about a brain tumour would change in one week ....... but, you make a good point, I suppose. That I honestly hadn't thought of. Because HA seriously breaks one's brain.

I do worry that it'll be one of these, "we see _something_, but don't know what it is yet," or similar. Because they always say, "no sense in worrying; we'll get more tests done and get a better idea of what's going on."

Going through this with my father at the moment, who had pneumonia for the first time in Sept, and since then they've been keeping an (x-ray) eye on how his lungs are clearing up. There was a spot of _something_ that they were concerned about, but "we don't know what it might be", so they sent him for a more rigorous test. That still came back with a big ol' "who knows?" -- might be cancer, might be a spot of persistent pneumonia, might be old scarring from before any of this began. Then they referred us to a specialized lung clinic, where my dad has now has a battery of tests performed over the space of several weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasia View Post
    This sub-forum seems to be pretty deserted these days, but I've got a lot of nervous energy and finding it impossible to focus on work so ... here I am.

Brain MRI today. Doc sent me as a "probably nothing, symptoms likely anxiety, but sometimes it's good for reassurance". I thought he was sending me to reassure me that I didn't have MS (which is my #1 fear), and then he mentioned brain tumour ... unprompted. So, sheesh!

Symptoms:
    • Tingling in left hand (~going on 5 months) - on and off, but more there than not
    • Weakness/burning in left arm
    • Sometimes similar tingling feeling in left leg/foot - def less noticeable than the hand, but there.
    • Discomfort in left eye (~4 months) - feels different at different times, frequently "testing" my vision (which seems totally fine, left eye seems to be clearer than right, actually), feels dry/stinging, sort of pressure-y

My main concerns are that this is all one-sided, on my left side. And the eye thing is really annoying and impossible to just ignore.

I've actually been relatively HA-panic free the past 3-4 days ... and so rational me is like, "Good to get this checked out; probably nothing", but HA me is in here too, screaming, "OMG, what if they FIND something!"

I feel pretty flippant and nervous/silly about it at the moment. Waiting period before I get results should be fun. :/

(To add to the craziness of doing this right before Xmas, my 88 yr old father has something concerning docs in his lung, so: a PET scan this Fri (CT w/ sugar), a brain MRI next Fri (between the holidays - awesome), and a through-the-back biopsy the week of New Year's.)

Hope everyone's doing well.

I can completely relate to this. Had MRI last week. Was doing ok over the weekend - managing with the thought that, "if they saw something bad on there, they would have alerted me immediately." After all, who wants the liability of letting someone with a brain tumor or other neurological issue drive their car?

Fast forward to today (Monday) and this afternoon my anxiety returns with a vengeance and I start to have a terrible headache with nausea. Maybe the MRI did show something after all and they just didn't call?

Thread Information