Thread: Convinced myself that I have lymphoma

Exclamation Convinced myself that I have lymphoma

About a month and a half ago I began feeling really sick with flu-like symptoms, but what was different is that it all started with a horrible stomach ache and nausea that lasted for a day. I stupidly kept running around and pushing myself for three weeks after that because I thought it was the flu. I eventually went to the doctor and got tested for mono, which indeed came back positive. Fast forward to three or four weeks since that test, I am feeling better than I did before, but still no 100%. What is really scaring me is that the doctor said that I will feel better within the next two or three weeks, but it has been longer than that and I am still not completely better!

In the past, I have convinced myself that I had a brain tumor, despite having every single test done, and recently I have convinced myself that I have HIV and TB.

Of course, I did the worst thing possible and took my symptoms to Google. The first thing that came up is Lymphoma. Since then, I have had stomach aches, on and off minor body aches, and extreme fatigue, but I don't have any swollen nodes. As I am writing this, I just discovered a pain in my armpit which can either be an ingrown hair (because I shaved my armpits two days ago) or a swollen lymph node. I also have felt my spleen swell but it comes and goes. I have had most of these symptoms (besides the armpit pain) before taking my symptoms to Dr. Google. But, I have already had a panic attack over this and am completely afraid that I now have lymphoma. I am 19 years old and a full-time college student and in no way can I afford to be struck with a life-threatening illness. Almost all of my family, besides my grandmother, has not had cancer. I keep thinking that I'm going to be that one person who is struck with this unluckiness and my life is going to be ruined. My days are constantly consumed by ruminating over the fact that I could very possibly have lymphoma and I will die soon. I am becoming very depressed over this and I feel so alone. Has anyone else experienced this?

Re: Convinced myself that I have lymphoma

Quote Originally Posted by madison1017 View Post
    About a month and a half ago I began feeling really sick with flu-like symptoms, but what was different is that it all started with a horrible stomach ache and nausea that lasted for a day. I stupidly kept running around and pushing myself for three weeks after that because I thought it was the flu. I eventually went to the doctor and got tested for mono, which indeed came back positive. Fast forward to three or four weeks since that test, I am feeling better than I did before, but still no 100%. What is really scaring me is that the doctor said that I will feel better within the next two or three weeks, but it has been longer than that and I am still not completely better!

In the past, I have convinced myself that I had a brain tumor, despite having every single test done, and recently I have convinced myself that I have HIV and TB.

Of course, I did the worst thing possible and took my symptoms to Google. The first thing that came up is Lymphoma. Since then, I have had stomach aches, on and off minor body aches, and extreme fatigue, but I don't have any swollen nodes. As I am writing this, I just discovered a pain in my armpit which can either be an ingrown hair (because I shaved my armpits two days ago) or a swollen lymph node. I also have felt my spleen swell but it comes and goes. I have had most of these symptoms (besides the armpit pain) before taking my symptoms to Dr. Google. But, I have already had a panic attack over this and am completely afraid that I now have lymphoma. I am 19 years old and a full-time college student and in no way can I afford to be struck with a life-threatening illness. Almost all of my family, besides my grandmother, has not had cancer. I keep thinking that I'm going to be that one person who is struck with this unluckiness and my life is going to be ruined. My days are constantly consumed by ruminating over the fact that I could very possibly have lymphoma and I will die soon. I am becoming very depressed over this and I feel so alone. Has anyone else experienced this?
    You have no reasons to believe you have lhymphoma since you don't even have a swollen node. I have a few swollen nodes that feels that is groin, so this thread is kinda offensive to me, honestly.

Re: Convinced myself that I have lymphoma

Quote Originally Posted by threesteps View Post
    You have no reasons to believe you have lhymphoma since you don't even have a swollen node. I have a few swollen nodes that feels that is groin, so this thread is kinda offensive to me, honestly.

This young lady is clearly scared and tbh your ‘this is kinda offensive to me, honestly’ doesn’t help. If you was worried about lymphoma yourself you shouldn’t have clicked on the post in the first place. No more panic is a place for people to get support off one another, not to make people
    Feel guilty.

---------- Post added at 08:35 ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 ----------

Oh hun where do I start. It can take a while after the original illness that you’ve had for lymph nodes to go down. The flu can knock you off your feet for a long time especially if to begin with you didn’t rest.

How do you know where your spleen is and if you have an idea are you sure that’s what you’re feeling? I’m a student nurse I know where it is but I wouldn’t be confident telling someone that I can feel it, it can be quite tricky.

The chances of you having lymphoma are low and you would have other symptoms too. My suggestion is to go back to the drs they should be open on Xmas eve be completely honest with them about how you’re still feeling poorly and the thoughts you’re having, just so you can relax and put your mind at rest x

Thread Information