Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really? Avocados!

Really? Avocados!

So. Now the news warns that avocados carry listeria.this is not good for me. I am having a hard time the past few years with food borne illnesses.I'm afraid of eating so many things. And although I'm a petite woman naturally, I am too skinny right now and need to gain weight. Avocado toast is my go to for breakfast. Now I'm hearing about this and it's going to ruin eating avocados for me. Even if I wash it, it will still worry me. And then it's going to become an ocd thing....did I wash it good enough. Did the restaurant wash theirs?.etc... And it will spiral and become another thing that I have to do just right. And there are many. I need to know how to not do this. I'm so mad. Please give me your suggestions on how to handle this so it doesn't become another fear.

Re: Really? Avocados!

Ok, well I had to look this up, as I'd not 'heard this news'. Its not the avocado itself, its possible bacteria carried on the skin and the same advice has been offered which is already offered for all food products...

What you can do to avoid listeria

To reduce the risk of listeria when preparing food at home, it’s important to:

• keep raw and ready-to-eat foods separate to avoid cross-contamination
    • wash fruit and vegetables thoroughly
    • keep chilled ready-to-eat foods cold – make sure your fridge is working properly and is set to 5⁰C or below
    • always use foods by their use-by date
    • follow the storage instructions on the label and use opened foods within two days unless instructions on the packaging say otherwise
    • ready-to-eat food must be eaten within four hours of being taken out of the fridge
    • cook or reheat foods until they are piping hot right through
    • ensure that you follow manufacturer’s instructions in the preparation of all foods

Essentially, in the case of the avocado - wash the skin before preparing. I have to say this is already something I do for fruit and veg, everything from citrus to potatoes. We eat loads of avocados in our house, in smoothies, sandwiches, salsas and all sorts, so after a good wash they are fine to use.

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

There is no way round this really, wash it (personally I know this might not be what everyone does) but you could wash using warm water and washing up liquid. I do this for things like citrus and rinse well afterwards. I do this mostly to remove wax off fruit, but the same applies to bacteria. If you have a fruit or veg with a skin that isn't smooth then use a little fruit scrubbing brush. Then....you just have to be done with it.....and eat it

It's common sense to wash fruits, veggies etc. and besides, I don't know anyone that eats the skin of an avocado

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I think what the articles/warnings are saying is that the listeria MAY BE carried on the skin and people don't wash them before preparing them. Due to this - 'potentially' listeria can be transferred to the inside of the avocado whilst you are preparing.

'Avoiding' is not the way to go on this, as you have already found out that you end up leaving lots of things you enjoy and reducing the foods you can eat, from fear. You need to expose yourself, not avoid. Take the advised safety measures, then carry on enjoying avocados.

The premise makes sense. But TBH, in my 32 years I’ve never once washed the skin of an avocado (including this morning) and I’ve had listeria exactly 0 times.

Yup LOL Neither have I ever had it rom the copious amounts of soft cheese I eat.

Thanks. I eat avocados at least three times a week. And quacamole every time I go to eat tacos which is at least once a week. I have never washed an avocado or worried about the restaurant doing it. But now, I will! . Just like how I used to love hotels(bed bugs now),the beach(vibrio), etc. I do those things still but they are anxiety provoking prior to doing them and it makes them so much less enjoyable. That's how I'm now gonna feel about avocados and man that makes me sad. Even if I wash them now, I'll wonder if I cleaned it enough.

I am pretty sure that I have to continue to eat them or i will make this a thing. But I'm scared! We are going to eat tacos tonight.....

Quote Originally Posted by cofo View Post
    Thanks. I eat avocados at least three times a week. And quacamole every time I go to eat tacos which is at least once a week. I have never washed an avocado or worried about the restaurant doing it. But now, I will! . Just like how I used to love hotels(bed bugs now),the beach(vibrio), etc. I do those things still but they are anxiety provoking prior to doing them and it makes them so much less enjoyable. That's how I'm now gonna feel about avocados and man that makes me sad. Even if I wash them now, I'll wonder if I cleaned it enough.

I am pretty sure that I have to continue to eat them or i will make this a thing. But I'm scared! We are going to eat tacos tonight.....
    The thing is, you’re in control of all of that. You can make the choice to work on your anxiety, and enjoy things without worrying. Or you can continue to let your irrational fears dictate your enjoyment. Your call.

I went for tacos and had quacamole!! I will not fear avocados!!

Quote Originally Posted by cofo View Post
    I went for tacos and had quacamole!! I will not fear avocados!!
    They're too good to fear!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information