I was wondering whether anyone had experience of epididymitis? I have been suffering with mild discomfort in the left testicle and perineum for almost a week now with the pain going up into the left side of my abdomen. Needless to say I have convinced myself I have either prostate or testicular cancer – for some reason my anxiety has gone stratospheric and I’m nothing short of a wreck at the moment...no good to my family and friends and I’m lucky it’s the holidays as I can’t even begin to contemplate going to work.

Thankfully I managed to get in to see the GP today who listened to my symptoms, examined me and said that he thought it was epididymitis. He pressed on my abdomen and I nearly hit the roof because it was so tender. He explained that the infection can cause abdomen tenderness and that I would need antibiotics to clear it up, which he prescribed.

I’m in a high state of anxiety, despite seeing the GP and the antibiotics not having taken effect yet. I am trying to be rational but it’s difficult.

I’ve been under (what I consider to be) three months of extreme stress (huge work stress, my partner having a significant cancer scare shortly followed by my closest friends having his own cancer scare – thankfully both are well). I feel exhausted...and I really do mean completely empty, both physically and emotionally and now I have to deal with aching testicles and abdomen. I feel like I’m hanging on for dear life here.

I just hoped that anyone could offer their experience of how they dealt with similar symptoms and found a way through.

Apologies for my whining, I realise how pathetic I sound, I just need to vent somewhere other than to my partner so as to give them a break.

Thank you for any words offered.