Thread: Ok this may sound strange but..

Ok this may sound strange but..

Recently I've not been able to sleep at all because I think someone has broken into the house and hiding under the bed or whatever and is gonna jump out and get me (dont laugh) lol

So I tried to sleep with the light on but was only getting a couple of hours sleep ever night, so I have been turning the light off and I jump at every single noise and always imagine the worst.

Any suggestions how I can get over this?

I know its silly deep down, but my imagination runs away with me sometimes :-( x

Re: Ok this may sound strange but..

There is another post about this on here

Try searching for "fear of bed" and you may find it

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Oh ok, thank you.

Hiya KittyKate,

I certainly won't laugh love, because at the age of 52 I admit I'm still afraid of the dark.

I was only talking with someone earlier about vivid imagination and how it can be a blessing or a curse at times.

How about doing a 'spot check' just before you go to bed? I used to do this when my children were tiny - and I never let on to them how scared I was too!

But by doing this, it may allay fears of the unknown or intruders, or 'monsters under the bed' !

I really don't know if it would help you, but I thought I'd just mention it.

By the way, how's your lovely kitty?

big hug for you

Hey!
    I'm afraid of the dark, it annoys my partner that I have to have a Light on somewhere upstairs when we go to bed. My advice to you is this:-
    Go to bed, have a light on somewhere upstairs, even if it is in a different room than you are sleeping in, and then just go to sleep. You will wake up in the Morning with the relization that you locked all the windows and door to your house, if you have an alarm then you set it before going to bed, you looked under the bed (if needed be) before you got in it, and you fell asleep safely, protected, comfortably in your bed. The more you do this the less you will get freaked out. Like the more you let yourself have a Panic Attack, the less attacks you'll have because you're not fighting it all the time. I don't know about you but I'm tired of Fighting it!
    Don't tell anyone, but I sometimes when I'm going to bed, I check in places like the Wardrobe and closet to make sure no-one is there. I know it's silly whilst doing it, but once I've checked I can go to bed.
    I used to see things in my Room when I was little that apparantly weren't there...I think that's what set off this concern. But that's just me, maybe try and work out why you're so concerned to begin with and then go from there.

Take Care.

Get some SLEEP!!

Danielle.X.

Hi KittyKate
    I hate the dark and especially when hubby is away i hear every noise going, i put the alarm on before i go to bed and keep a light on in the hallway but still dont like it much hence is why im still up now. Having said all that when i go to bed i take a mag and have a read for a bit i find that helps and then when im really tired i settle down and go to sleep. I also have a lavender spray which i spray at night dont know if it helps but it smells nice.
    Take care
    Annexx

Hi

Of course we wouldn't laugh, we're to help if we can.
    I too am scared off the dark and always have been strange how things seem different when it's dark.

We have lived in this house 30 years so i know every crook and cranny of it and yet at night it's different, i sleep with that bathroom light on which i can just see above our bedroom door, i need to know that there is a light on when i wake which i always do coz i can't sleep !!!

Once hubby worked away and i felt like you, i checked all the cupboards and even slept with a blinking great knife under my pillow, with hindsight the damn thing could have come out and stabbed me (thick or what) but luckily it never.

I don't know what brings this on, but if having a light on makes you feel better then do so and don't worry about it.

Hope this helps just a little bit

By the way, how's your lovely kitty?
    Hiya GG, kitty is doing great thanks! She keeps me on my toes god love her

Hope everything is ok with you and yours

I think I'm almost over this panic thing, the meds are doing their job thank god lol

I just need to get over this night time thing. I dont have panic attacks, it just keeps me awake worrying. I'm gonna get a night light as someone suggested!

Thanks everyone for the replys

I feel alot happier, even got a job interview for friday! xx

Hi Kate

As you can see, you are NOT alone on this one, the mind IS a very powerfull thing, knowing how to use this power is dame hard.

When I was acute, My daughter had a portable DVD player, I used this at night, I never watched anything, kept the lid down, but had carry on flilms playing and just listend to them. I NEVER liked being left with my own thoughts.

Now, this became a habbit,(not sure if thats good or bad) but last year, I had major probs with my relationship, (nothing to do with me listening to the dvd playerLOL) but because of this problem I stopped useing it and fucust totly at night, on how I could sort this dame problem out, looking at every postive patheway no matter how it went, ohh this site has tought me to do that soooo now the problem is sorted I am back to using the dvd player, I don't like being left with my own thoughts. I have tried, but my thoughts may become, what I call morbib or to negative, so I use the dvd player.

As I have said in my other reply on your other tread, I am panic high anxiety free, but still have a few issuse, which I have to adress, so I'm not sure if this habbit is good or bad.

Its GREAT to hear you are over the panic, ohhh WELL DONE

I am sure that time, you CAN get over the night time thing too.

Good luck with your job interview, please let us know how you get on.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------