Thread: Daily Benzodiapm

Daily Benzodiapm

Just curious if anyone here takes a daily benzodiazepine?

I am prescribed .5mg of Klonapin (Clonazepam) and it's been about 5-6 years. Yes, I know they should not be taking long term so please do not reply with that as it would be unhelpful. This was prescribed to me by my Psychiatrist (in fact 2 different opinions agreed to help deal with panic). My PCP knows I take it as well. All top rated doctors in a large city. Anyway...

It's been about 5-6 years and although now is not the right time to wean, I do wonder about other's experiences. Dose, length of time, withdrawal schedule, etc. Right now I don't know if it's truly helping. It did in the beginning but now I feel I just take it solely so I don't withdrawal.

I also worry about long term effects which I've read have not been well studied. I hope this year, 2019, I can successfully come of my benzo.

Re: Daily Benzodiapm

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

See chapter 2 of the following excellent publication:
    https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

This helped me taper off. Was only on about 3 months but was tricky. This manual helped me understand benzos better.

I was taking benzos for about 1.5 years (when i started i had no idea they were addictive - silly me!) in the end i went to an addiction centre for 2 weeks to come off of them. It wasn't nice. I had relied very heavily on the benzos for a long time & they really helped me a lot so i didn't go clean by choice! I still would love to have a 'safety net' of the benzos, but i also realised that i could hardly remember a lot of what happened in that time which is a shame.
    Personally, i think benzos are the easy choice and are very inviting. But we should also be trying the CBT or other therapies to see if that helps. Also, in the UK it is very hard to get them! Damnit :P

Go slow that is a long build up to come down from you could try looking into titeration the normally recommend going down by 10% for a couple of weeks . I have found Facebook very good for communicating on coming of medication slowly x

[QUOTE=LilyLabVA;1847208]Just curious if anyone here takes a daily benzodiazepine?

I am prescribed .5mg of Klonapin (Clonazepam) and it's been about 5-6 years. Yes, I know they should not be taking long term so please do not reply with that as it would be unhelpful. This was prescribed to me by my Psychiatrist (in fact 2 different opinions agreed to help deal with panic). My PCP knows I take it as well. All top rated doctors in a large city. Anyway...

I've been taking 2 x 5mg benzos daily since the age of 50 and I'm now almost 66.
    I've never increased the dose and seriously doubt that they are doing much for me after all this time but as you say they're my safety net.
    I don't see a reason to give them up at this point.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

maybe its worth trying antidepressants instead? they are more for long term use. I have been prescribed citalopram for anxiety and panic disorder

I take Lexapro but am going to go off it shortly.
    I had 5 yrs on Lexapro then 5yrs off and now about 3 yrs back on so it's about time I got off it again.
    Benzos aren't as mind altering as ADs and anything that gives you withdrawals like ADs is obviously addictive no matter what they say.

I dont agree that ads are mind altering at all. They just make you feel like yourself again before the anxiety and panic cr** took hold of me and turned me into someone that I dont even recognise or wish to be. ADs make me myself without the panic and obsessive thoughts about my health etc. well they did last time I was on them. only been on them 4 weeks this time and not really noticed any change yet. I didnt have any withdrawal the last times I came off them, tapered off gradually

I have to agree with you that they affect everyone differently.
    I went cold turkey last time.
    Head zaps for 2 weeks then all good again.

Thread Information