Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Pitting edema soles of feet

Re: Pitting edema soles of feet

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    I know im a laughing stock to all of you, but everything I read online about pitting oedema in legs relates to heart or liver. Theres NOTHING which says it could be benign. This has been going on for a few months now. Would an ECG rule out heart failure and could me liver have started failing since my last bloods in february?

No one is laughing at you, if they were they need to have a look at their own problems.

But you at nothing other than heart or liver? The NHS disagree with you:
    https://www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk/E...rticle/oedema/

That's a list including triggering things but since you are already obviously Googling for the scary I will leave the link there so you read a credible source that does give you alternatives.

I found this an interesting section:

Treating oedemaOedema is often temporary and clears up by itself. For example, if you've been standing up for too long on a hot day, your ankles may swell up until you get the chance to put your feet up and rest.If oedema doesn't go away by itself, see your GP. They'll try and find out if there's an underlying cause which needs to be treated. This could involve taking medication or following some advice, such as:

• losing weight (if you're overweight)
    • taking regular exercise, such as walking, swimming or cycling
    • raising your legs three to four times a day to improve your circulation
    • avoiding standing for long periods of time

If an underlying condition is causing the fluid imbalance, it should clear up after the condition has been diagnosed and treated.

So, if this can only be some scary condition then can you explain why a doctor might treat it will the above?

Both my parents have it. Now they are elderly so you will likely say that's not the same as for you but both my parents only have it due to medications they take. According to you they should have a heart or liver problem. They don't.

Aside from the NHS list you will also find dehydration as a cause. And dehydration can be a symptom found in anxiety sufferers.

As far as tests go, you won't and should not have them unless your GP decides they need them.
    So, how does your GP's assessment apply to the above?

So, how does your GP's assessment apply to the above?
    Well he did ask how long do I stand up during the day, and I said sometimes my week alternates between either sitting down all day, or on my feet all day (6-8 hours at a time on some days. I also drive 45 mins each way to work.

I very rarely sit down and put my feet up, so he suggested raising my legs if I'm sitting down.

I do walk a lot so I don't feel there's an issue with excercise, and I'm not overweight.

Last night I did come across an article where a 36 year old man, diagnosed with depression, had pitting oedema. He underwent all the medical tests and all was normal. So he was treated for depression - meds and relaxation techniques and the oedema went after 4 months..........

I saw a programme recently where the woodlands are used to treat depression, so I decided to go for a walk in the local woods this afternoon. Ended up slipping half way round and jarred my shoulder (heard a squelch and a tear), so I'm sat here with an ice pack on my back................go for a nice walk in nature they said........
    Last edited by MrLurcher; 24-06-19 at 17:59.

You have to see the funny side of this, Mr L...."Forest Bathing" with that added "ouch" factor!

More "material" for your HA though? Torn shoulder ligaments?

What about work by the way? Are they amenable to all this time off for GP appointments?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    You have to see the funny side of this, Mr L...."Forest Bathing" with that added "ouch" factor!

More "material" for your HA though? Torn shoulder ligaments?

What about work by the way? Are they amenable to all this time off for GP appointments?
    Yes I did chuckle a bit that this was meant to be self help time, and I managed to injure myself......

Nah, I did briefly worry about shoulder ligaments because I do have a lot of gigs coming up over the summer and thought it would impair on my playing but it's probably fine.

Well I work Tuesdays to Saturdays, and also finish early on a Thursday. So it doesn't impair on work too much, although I have been spoken to about my concentration levels and quietness.

Honestly, you should concentrate on your gigs. You're obviously very talented and might find a hell of a lot of "therapy" with your guitar which is free and immediately available?

Don't jeopardise work as well as well as your home life? Being the sole earner brings responsibility which we all find unnerving but once you accept an HA diagnosis you can start to work on rising above all the temptations HA offers and making serious progress in managing what can be a frustrating and debilitating condition. But it IS a condition and not a sinister illness and you should be grateful for your physical health and for the fact that you have a choice to stick with your HA or to manage it effectively.

Yes I did chuckle a bit that this was meant to be self help time, and I managed to injure myself......

Nah, I did briefly worry about shoulder ligaments because I do have a lot of gigs coming up over the summer and thought it would impair on my playing but it's probably fine.

Well I work Tuesdays to Saturdays, and also finish early on a Thursday. So it doesn't impair on work too much, although I have been spoken to about my concentration levels and quietness.
    I think that's a Sod's Law issue and good to have some humour over. Get over a rabies worry, go for a walk in the park and friendly squirrel lands on you...trigger panic!!!

Getting back into nature is a lot better than sitting in front of a screen that's for sure. It really does provide calm compared to the stress felt of being on all these devices and the fast pace of life. It's well worth continuing with, although whether you start hugging trees is up to you

Well he did ask how long do I stand up during the day, and I said sometimes my week alternates between either sitting down all day, or on my feet all day (6-8 hours at a time on some days. I also drive 45 mins each way to work.

I very rarely sit down and put my feet up, so he suggested raising my legs if I'm sitting down.

I do walk a lot so I don't feel there's an issue with excercise, and I'm not overweight.

Last night I did come across an article where a 36 year old man, diagnosed with depression, had pitting oedema. He underwent all the medical tests and all was normal. So he was treated for depression - meds and relaxation techniques and the oedema went after 4 months..........

I saw a programme recently where the woodlands are used to treat depression, so I decided to go for a walk in the local woods this afternoon. Ended up slipping half way round and jarred my shoulder (heard a squelch and a tear), so I'm sat here with an ice pack on my back................go for a nice walk in nature they said........
    So, would your GP give you such basic treatment advice if you had a serious condition? And why would it not have been picked up on all these tests you have had?

Anyone can get this. It can even be idiopathic in nature.

So, would your GP give you such basic treatment advice if you had a serious condition? And why would it not have been picked up on all these tests you have had?

Anyone can get this. It can even be idiopathic in nature.
    Hi Terry, well, I'm still doubting how much he tested my leg. IMO he didn't press hard enough to show the deeper indents I've seen. Only last night I pressed down on my inner shin and created a 5mm deep indent which stayed there for a good 2-3 mins.

Finding it hard to trust his judgement now, and maybe he didn't really check my leg properly because he thought I was just talking rubbish again.

This has been going on for a few months now, and everything I read about chornic pitting edema points to a serious underlying cause. I had my last set of bloods covering mostly everything back in early March so maybe if theres something wrong it was too early in its process to show up on bloods. I also had that elevated enzyme which came back to normal, but what if that was a subtle sign of liver disease? My great grandfather died of aomething kidney related as well, granted he was in his 70s, but thats also on my mind.

This is really hard.
    Last edited by MrLurcher; 27-06-19 at 10:34.

Here's something to think about:

Why is it that your doctor, with all his training, isn't pressing hard enough? Couldn't it simply be that you're pressing too hard?

Hi Terry, well, I'm still doubting how much he tested my leg. IMO he didn't press hard enough to show the deeper indents I've seen. Only last night I pressed down on my inner shin and created a 5mm deep indent which stayed there for a good 2-3 mins.

Finding it hard to trust his judgement now, and maybe he didn't really check my leg properly because he thought I was just talking rubbish again.

This has been going on for a few months now, and everything I read about chornic pitting edema points to a serious underlying cause. I had my last set of bloods covering mostly everything back in early March so maybe if theres something wrong it was too early in its process to show up on bloods. I also had that elevated enzyme which came back to normal, but what if that was a subtle sign of liver disease? My great grandfather died of aomething kidney related as well, granted he was in his 70s, but thats also on my mind.

This is really hard.
    This is a trained professional. I am sure they know how hard to press down to test for actual pitting edema. Sounds like are pressing too hard making it look like edema when it really is not.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information