Thread: Ocd at night

Ocd at night

Hi,

I'm really struggling with my rituals at night. I have to check every light switch, door handle, window, tap. I collect up certain electricals like the iron and keep them in my bedroom. It's taking me an hour to complete. Then if I have to go downstairs for any reason I have to check all of the lights again. Its driving me insane. My hand is aching from trying to film myself pushing the front door shut over and over. My bf helps me often, going around the house with me, but hes on early shifts this week so is asleep. I've been drinking a lot to try to stop the urges. How do we beat this? Is it really a case of keeping myself awake and resisting the urges? I don't know that to do. I'm lying here desperate to go back and check, but I've done it 3 times now and I'm exhausted.
    I have had cbt in the past and been told the only way to beat this is to have the sleepless nights and resist.
    Any advice so appreciated.
    X

Re: Ocd at night

How come no one replied to this?

Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    Sorry you didn't get replies, I stuggle with OCD but the purely obsessional kind, so i don't have much helpful advice when it comes to rituals though I did suffer with them for awhile when I was young. Are you doing better now?

I think when it comes to compulsions you just have to fight the urge to do them.

I went through a load of this myself. I got through it though and so can you.

Try to work on indirect methods like reduction of overall anxiety levels because the more you calm your body/mind the more you will find the intensity of your OCD lowers. Being on edge means obsessive-compulsive cycles get to thrive.

You can also try to work on gradual elimination using a method like ERP. It can work but you may need to stick with it or make adjustments until you see it e.g. a goal may be too large a leap so a stepping stone is needed. And sometimes one compulsion is just stuck but another can be worked on more easily so do it, getting a few resolved helps with the rest.

You may find it hard at first and there could be some sleepless nights but it will change. Look to performing relaxation work at night too so you are calming when in bed or more likely to just nod off.

Don't worry about lack of replies, the OCD board is one of the quiet ones on NMP.

Thanks for these replies.
    Terry what is ERP? I Do need to try some techniques, this just can't go on. My anxiety is starting as soon as it gets dark because I'm dreading doing the checks.
    Thanks again

OCD is such a difficult one to give advice on as ultimately the way to get out of our cycles is not any magic action or thought but simply sitting with what makes us uncomfortable a lot of the time. The only way I have found to break the cycle is actually just not doing my checks, and practicing being calm while I do. It’s not easy, sometimes it’s damn near impossible to think about but it’s the only success I’ve had.

Have you concerned CBT and working with a professional?

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Thanks for these replies.
    Terry what is ERP? I Do need to try some techniques, this just can't go on. My anxiety is starting as soon as it gets dark because I'm dreading doing the checks.
    Thanks again
    Exposure & Response Prevention, it's part of CBT. It works based on a hierarchy of goals to reach a larger goal of elimination.

Using ERP you could develop a "ladder" as some call it. You build up to the harder stuff or the bigger leaps. You could start by reducing a check you do by x number, reducing several or all by x number, reducing the time spent on checks, etc.

This is aimed at Agoraphobia but it has a good guide with an example which helps you understand how it works:

https://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/panic.asp

Thanks for these replies. I haven't had proper CBT for this, it was touched upon a year or two ago but it was no where near as bad. Thanks for that link Terry. I'm trying to reduce the amount of checks I do, some nights I can manage (usually the nights I've had copious amounts of wine) and some nights I can't. I just got some medication from the doctor so hopefully this will help. Although I'm scared about stopping the alcohol. I'm guessing they shouldn't be taken with alcohol.
    Thanks again

Shouldn't be telling you this, but you're okay to drink moderately on SSRIs. I've actually found they greatly increased my alcohol tolerance, in fact.

Obviously I'm not advocating self-medicating with alcohol, but if you're given that class of drug you should be fine enjoying a drink or two.

Thread Information