Thread: Cleaned up Mold.. scared..

Cleaned up Mold.. scared..

I have been having a horrible health anxiety day. Like everything is getting to me. And this hasn’t happened in awhile. I have been on a cleaning frenzy and my hands are raw from washing. Then I was taking out the trash and I’m the bathroom, I saw some black stuff in the bottom of the trash can so I just wiped it out with a paper towel.. it looks like it was mold. Now I’m paranoid I breathed in a bunch or mold.. not to mention I did it in the hallway.. so my son would have been exposed too. Of course I read you should always wear a mask and gloves when dealing with mold. Which I did neither.. So now I’m paranoid about adverse effects... that it will make us sick in the long term.. I think I’ve hit my limit on what I can handle today. Any reassurance would be great..

Re: Cleaned up Mold.. scared..

Literally nothing to worry about. You’re exposed to mold constantly, you just don’t realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    Literally nothing to worry about. You’re exposed to mold constantly, you just don’t realize it.
    I googled which I know was the first mistake.. and everything was like.. wear a mask and gloves Always!! Or it can make you really sick. I cleaned some from under a shampoo bottle too. But that didn’t bother me because it’s more mildewy. I’m the bottom of the trash can. There were a couple thick black spots.. and I wiped it out.. it was mold. Since it was black it made me worry... :(

1-Just because it’s black doesn’t mean it’s stachy whatever.....the dangerous one.

2–Even if it was you’d have to be exposed to a large amount for a long period for anything to happen. 2 minutes with a couple spots, harmless

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    1-Just because it’s black doesn’t mean it’s stachy whatever.....the dangerous one.

2–Even if it was you’d have to be exposed to a large amount for a long period for anything to happen. 2 minutes with a couple spots, harmless
    Thanks I hope so. So you fully believe we will all be okay from that? I was fighting the urge to change my clothes over it because my husband already thinks I’m nuts lol...

Mold is pretty much anywhere. Most bathrooms have mold some where. You just don’t see it. Closed door + hot steamy shower, even with fan on, will eventually form mold somewhere. Window sills as well if you live in places with extreme temp differences between outside and inside air.

Quote Originally Posted by GRVY View Post
    Mold is pretty much anywhere. Most bathrooms have mold some where. You just don’t see it. Closed door + hot steamy shower, even with fan on, will eventually form mold somewhere. Window sills as well if you live in places with extreme temp differences between outside and inside air.
    Yeah. I’ve seen it in window sills.. and I know that type isn’t typically very toxic. And even on the tub/shower. I wasn’t sure about the type in the trash can. It was black and fuzzy. Kinda like what happens in the window sill. But I was even more concerned that my son was there. So he could have breathed it in too. And google scared me...

You guys believe we will be fine?

It probably just a piece of food that fell to bottom of can and grew some mold. That kind of mold is no big deal. Hope you feel better about it.

Thread Information