Thread: D-dimer test was twice the normal limit. Shouldn't I be rushing to ER? Freaking out!

Flew long-distance and only stood up twice. Now terrified of DVT!

So now I'm worried about DVT. I flew from the UK to Bangkok via Russia on Friday. The first flight was 4 hours and quite cramped with minimal leg movement. Then I walked, stood, and even ran for a while during the chaotic hour long transit to the next flight.

The second flight was longer at 9 hours. I sat at the window seat for it but the legroom was very good so I stretched my legs straight quite often during the flight. I also rotated my ankles quite frequently. Still, what has me worried is that I only got out of my seat once during this 9 hour flight for a bathroom break, after roughly 6 hours of flying.

Im 28, I weigh 75 kg and im 5'10 with no known pre-existing conditions. I dont have any red flag symptoms apart from mild leg pain. What mostly has concerned me is when you look dvt up on reputable medical websites it says half of all cases are asymptomatic. So I could have a ticking time bomb in my leg and not even know about it. Is it worth going to doctor for a d-dimer test or am I needlessly worrying?

I tried the online Wells DVT predictor test and scored zero. The caveat being I dont know if my deep veins are tender because I don't know how to check that. Once an idea of a certain illness takes a hold in my mind it becomes an obsession that is very difficult to alleviate without getting checked.

Thanks for any support or advice

Re: Flew long-distance and only stood up twice. Now terrified of DVT!

I genuinely don't think you have anything to worry about, given what you've said, but if it's upsetting you that badly maybe check in with a medical professional just to set your mind at ease?

I flew from the Northeast US to Portland Oregon last year (so basically across the whole USA) w/o getting up at all during either flight, each flight was about 4.5 hours including waiting on the runway etc., only time I got up was in between the flights when we were switching planes, my boyfriend is a big dude and its always so cramped in those planes to try to get up and get around him on flights so I just don't lol

First step to calming down, stop googling and stop checking, easier said than done I know but I promise you're going to feel better the more you're able to remove yourself from the obsession part of the fear, leg pain after long flights is totally common especially if one of the flights was cramped, definitely doesn't mean anything sinister, I hope you had a good trip!

My neighbour is a pilot, and so is his Dad. I'm friends with him on Facebook and just asked. Neither of them (combined 54 years experience as commercial pilots) have ever witnessed or heard of a single person experience DVT from sitting on a plane.

It's just THE most pointless thing to worry about. Millions, and millions of people fly per year. You have more chance of being eaten alive by ants (probably....not.....?!!)

D-dimer test was twice the normal limit. Shouldn't I be rushing to ER? Freaking out!

Visited doctor yesterday after I, a 28-year old male, noticed leg pain since I landed from a long-distance flight on Saturday. Pain has been quite mild and intermittent. Doctor conducted a physical exam which was unremarkable for DVT signs.

However, the doctor decided to order a d-dimer blood test just to be sure, and the results came back positive with a value of 1000ug/L when the normal value is 0-500 apparently. Of course, I'm now terrified.

Doctor told me I need to be booked in for leg doppler ultrasound and she's managed to get me a scan in 12 hours. But to me waiting in this case seems dangerous. Should I not be going straight to ER and requesting an ultrasound scan bearing in mind the result of the d-dimer exam? The doctor remarked in her email response with my blood tests that she still didn't believe it was thrombosis.

Very confused on why this isn't being treated with greater urgency. I could theoretically drop dead from PE while waiting for my ultrasound.

Re: D-dimer test was twice the normal limit. Shouldn't I be rushing to ER? Freaking o

I'm not a medical professional, but I think it could be that the pain is mild and intermittent? Neither of these are consistent with DVT, from what I've read.

Re: D-dimer test was twice the normal limit. Shouldn't I be rushing to ER? Freaking o

You should have been started on treatment whilst you wait for a scan

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Thread Information