Thread: Anxiety, thoughts not letting me enjoy life

Anxiety, thoughts not letting me enjoy life

Hi guys

Just wondered if someone could help me categorise my anxiety issues.

I usually get bad anxiety every few years....lasts between 2 weeks and a month, but when I get it.....it's bad.

It's worse first thing in the morning, I wake up 4am and that's it, there's no way I can sleep any more. My problem is, is with thoughts. Not about me personally, but say....something I've seen on the news.

For example, if I'm starting to feel a bit happier....my head says 'no, think of that person you saw on the news' a bit like the 'don't think of a banana' scenario. You just can't stop thinking of the banana.

These thoughts that one torments oneself with- Is it OCD related??? Or simply extreme anxiety? I'd like to know, so I can work on my issues. I'm not eating properly either

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Re: Anxiety, thoughts not letting me enjoy life

Hi Mick

I hope you’re feeling Ok today.

Im not sure why you feel a need to categorise your anxiety yourself, but did wonder if you’ve sought help advice from your GP about it? Pretty sure that medical professionals would be able to help identify the type you’re experiencing but also point you in the direction of someone who can work with you on what triggers it and what coping strategies may help, which is much more important.

What you’ve said about waking early is pretty common I think and certainly something that has affected me in the past. It seems to be that you get so exhausted with worrying that you fall asleep ok, but your body allows you just enough to cope with the next day - but not as much as you really need. I also think that 4am is a horrible time of the day and doesn’t help with anxiety levels.

The news, I think, is something to avoid (or limit) at times like this.

As for the ‘banana’ fixation, I know exactly what you mean, but pretty sure a counsellor or therapist would have some great ideas about things you can do to stop the thoughts coming back.

If you haven’t already, why not give it a try.

Hi Pigeon

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I will seek help if it carries on, already looked online and there’s a few private therapists that look good (nhs takes months to get appointment)

Have bad days, and not so bad ones

Thanks again, really appreciate it

Mick

I have had counselling and CBT in the past to help with my anxiety. I recommend it - it really did help.

Good luck with it and take care

Thread Information