Thread: Eye Dr. Blood pressure, glaucoma?

Eye Dr. Blood pressure, glaucoma?

I wear glasses and contacts but I have not been to the Dr in 3 years. I was purposely putting off going because last time I went they checked my blood pressure. They never did that before. I get major blood pressure anxiety. Anyway, I was very nervous driving there today, I almost canceled. I took deep breaths in the waiting room. They called me back and checked it, 131/91. My pulse was 92 and it is normally 60-65. I was actually pleased with this reading. My Dr wants it under 140/90. Do you think it was a little high because of my verves?

Also, when doing my eye test the Dr said my internal eye pressure is a little high. Should be between 12-21, mine was 24. She mentioned glaucoma and asked if any family members have it. She wants me back for an additional test. Then she dilated my eyes and said both optic nerves look great. Glaucoma would show some damage. So that was a good thing. To be safe she still wants to do the additional test. I think she could tell I was nervous. She said even if it is glaucoma it's very easily treated with daily eye drops.

What do you all think about my blood pressure? I'm guessing I was just nervous. Also, anybody know anything about glaucoma? It didake me feel better to know both nerves looked good.

Re: Eye Dr. Blood pressure, glaucoma?

Can't speak for the glaucoma, as I have zero knowledge of it other than knowing it involves elevated pressure in the eye(s) and causes some kind of damage. As for the blood pressure, 131/91 is not concerning whatsoever, IMO. My doc doesn't bat an eye at my BP unless it's 140/90 or greater, which happens from time to time when I'm anxious about being there - even for a routine check-up. But even then, it's not an immediate concern, it's just not ideal and she makes sure i have otherwise normal readings (such as at home). It happens.

Being anxious/nervous can absolutely increase blood pressure temporarily. When I have a severe panic attack, my BP sometimes peaks at around 155/100. Neither GP nor cardiologist are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by bin tenn View Post
    Can't speak for the glaucoma, as I have zero knowledge of it other than knowing it involves elevated pressure in the eye(s) and causes some kind of damage. As for the blood pressure, 131/91 is not concerning whatsoever, IMO. My doc doesn't bat an eye at my BP unless it's 140/90 or greater, which happens from time to time when I'm anxious about being there - even for a routine check-up. But even then, it's not an immediate concern, it's just not ideal and she makes sure i have otherwise normal readings (such as at home). It happens.

Being anxious/nervous can absolutely increase blood pressure temporarily. When I have a severe panic attack, my BP sometimes peaks at around 155/100. Neither GP nor cardiologist are concerned.
    Binn Tenn, your name is familiar. Where you on AnxietyZone?
    Thanks for your reply. I was pretty happy with the reading but guess I needed some reassuring. I found out little while ago my grandfather and grandmother each had glaucoma. They each used eye drops to control it. And yes, hie eye pressure does cause it.

Yes, I was on AZ. Indeed, I've heard eye drops are often the treatment prescribed for glaucoma. But a single mildly elevated eye pressure does not necessarily mean you have it, I don't think. It sounds like the doc is on top of it. Just follow her advice and you'll be fine.

I have elevated eye pressure, around 24-26, and some family history of glaucoma (acute as opposed to chronic). I've had a few different doctors tell me different things, though no one seemed that worried. I also had my eyes checked for nerve damage and there were no problems. Some people just naturally have high optic pressure. I just have to recheck each year and if I suddenly get blood red eyes, blurred vision and a wicked headache behind my eyes, go to the ER. But again, from what I'm told it's more likely that it won't ever happen.

I am in pre-glaucoma. My pressures are normal but my optic nerves look wonky. I do not have damage yet, though. I don't take drops yet.

Make sure you get regular vision checks, esp with family history. Glaucoma is sneeky, and there is no cure...so you need to make sure you do everything preventative per a doctors orders.

Thank you everyone, it was helpful. After talking with my parents I found out that it is something that runs in our family and those that had it used drops to control it.

I have optic disc cupping which is usually related to glaucoma, but in my case it isn't. They were very concerned 8 years ago though when I went for my eye exam. Every time I go for an eye exam at a different optician they always want to refer me for tests and I have to tell them that it's not glaucoma and I've had the tests to conform that.

But, even if you it is glaucoma it's perfectly treatable and livable. You won't go blind and it's nothing to be majorly worried about.

Cannabis is said to be good for glaucoma. Not sure if it's CBD, or THC, that is responsible but feel free to give it some research.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NervUs View Post
    I am in pre-glaucoma. My pressures are normal but my optic nerves look wonky. I do not have damage yet, though. I don't take drops yet.

Make sure you get regular vision checks, esp with family history. Glaucoma is sneeky, and there is no cure...so you need to make sure you do everything preventative per a doctors orders.
    Do you have optic disc cupping? That's what I have. But they said its not related to glaucoma.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I have optic disc cupping which is usually related to glaucoma, but in my case it isn't. They were very concerned 8 years ago though when I went for my eye exam. Every time I go for an eye exam at a different optician they always want to refer me for tests and I have to tell them that it's not glaucoma and I've had the tests to conform that.

But, even if you it is glaucoma it's perfectly treatable and livable. You won't go blind and it's nothing to be majorly worried about.

Cannabis is said to be good for glaucoma. Not sure if it's CBD, or THC, that is responsible but feel free to give it some research.

Do you have optic disc cupping? That's what I have. But they said its not related to glaucoma.
    Optic disc cupping was not mentioned during my appointment. Only eye pressure and risk of glaucoma. My optic nerves look healthy and my vision has actually improved.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post

No, I don't have cupping.
    BUt, cupping is something to watch for in glaucoma. So, Wiredincorrectly, make sure you follow up if a doc suggests more tests. Glaucoma is not a one and done test. Like I said, I am in preglaucoma (or what they refer to as glaucoma suspect), and that means you keep checking until you catch it. IMO, I think you should monitor the cupping to see if there are changes. I am supposed to go once a year but, once I get glaucoma, I will have more frequent checks, from what I have been told.

Thread Information