Thread: Perforated eardrum - CT scan and surgery needed

Perforated eardrum - CT scan and surgery needed

Hi all,

My health anxiety is through the roof >_< For 2 weeks I had been suffering from a bunged up ear (I got it wet in the bath) and the water wouldn't clear. I saw my GP a few months ago and he said there was a lot of earwax. I tried to make an appointment with the ENT doctor but they were on holiday. Then I was traveling and thought I would leave it until I move back to UK (I'm temporally in Germany and due to move back in March).

But I recently had a cold and had been flying a few times, so I thought it was either an earwax build up, infection or swimmers ear. Anyway, last Friday the ENT told me it's a perforated ear drum and that I've had it for years. I was shocked. He said it's so bad it needs surgery. In the last week, it has caused a lot of pain - I think it's infected and he prescribed me antibiotic drops, which I've taken for 2 days now. The pain is lessened but still there. Any mid/ loud noises are hell. Yesterday I went to the supermarket and left in agony - I felt like my ear was bleeding (it wasn't) and was really tired.

I have a CT scan on Tuesday to check on the bones around the ear. I understand this is to help the surgeon do his job but I am scared of the cancer risks. I had a CT scan about 7 years ago on my abdomen and many xrays on teeth since.

I'm scared about the operation itself. I don't know much information about it yet, but there's a risk of taste changes, hearing loss, pain, bleeding etc. It takes a while to recover from what I've read.

I'm constantly needing reassurance from loved ones at the moment. It makes me feel better but it's never enough. I am SO scared. I wish my eardrum would heal like everyone else's seems to... I feel very unlucky and upset right now. I expect my plans to move back to UK will also have to wait.

Has anyone else had this surgery? Am I being silly about the CT scan? Ugh. I wish my mind would just relax :(

Re: Perforated eardrum - CT scan and surgery needed

This was linked in an older post. For anyone worrying about radiation from CT-scans, it may help you feel better/ more confident in the procedure! https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.or...15)00591-1/pdf

Hi Twisted Melody,

I don't have any experience of this problem myself but just sending you wishes of warm thoughts and strength. I do remember a girl at my school having this and she had a cotton wool patch on her ear for a little while. But then it all healed up fine as far as I can remember.

It's bad enough to have anxiety but when it's a real health problem you're dealing with (not an imagined or prospective one) it makes it harder.

The best advice I can give is to try your absolute best to take one day at a time. Try not to think too far into the future as that's when the 'what if's' start flying around your mind. Try and distract yourself. Is there something you like doing that is really engaging? Reading, computer games, cinema, etc?

Also if you're feeling anxious, going out on a brisk walk really helps, if you can.

I haven’t but my brother in law had very delicate surgeries on both of his ears successfully. He was fine within a few days.

I’m not surprised that you’re fed up, but I suppose you just have to think of the goal - which is not having these problems. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by popkorngal View Post
    Hi Twisted Melody,

I don't have any experience of this problem myself but just sending you wishes of warm thoughts and strength. I do remember a girl at my school having this and she had a cotton wool patch on her ear for a little while. But then it all healed up fine as far as I can remember.

It's bad enough to have anxiety but when it's a real health problem you're dealing with (not an imagined or prospective one) it makes it harder.

The best advice I can give is to try your absolute best to take one day at a time. Try not to think too far into the future as that's when the 'what if's' start flying around your mind. Try and distract yourself. Is there something you like doing that is really engaging? Reading, computer games, cinema, etc?

Also if you're feeling anxious, going out on a brisk walk really helps, if you can.
    Thank you for the advice. I took a little time off work to play video games and read books. I also started walking my dog more as I found getting out and getting some light exercise helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I haven’t but my brother in law had very delicate surgeries on both of his ears successfully. He was fine within a few days.

I’m not surprised that you’re fed up, but I suppose you just have to think of the goal - which is not having these problems. X
    I'm glad your brother in law recovered well It gives me hope that I will too and I'll feel much better for it in the long run.

As for the CT-scan, that document I found really helped me put it into perspective. The procedure itself was very quick, I didn't have contrast (yay) and now I know my doctor can do a better job. My dad said "It's like a mechanic. They can't do a good job if they don't lift up the bonnet and see what's wrong."

Thread Information