Thread: Feel like I知 about to have a heart attack

Feel like I知 about to have a heart attack

Sorry to sound so dramatic but I didn稚 know how else to describe how I feel.

I知 61 years old and worried about my heart. Over the last few days, I致e been experiencing an unusual chest pain which comes and goes. It痴 not agonising and doesn稚 last long - less than a minute each time. It happens when I知 sitting or just going about my usual business. I致e not noticed it happen when I excercise - which I have been doing a lot of recently.

As I feel ok otherwise, my first thought was it was muscle spasms or something. I have poor posture and often get back and chest pain so put it down to this. But as i could also feel it in my arms and jaw, I was worried so I went to my GP.

He took some blood and referred me for an ECG which I値l have tomorrow. But he also took my blood pressure which was excessively high - 190/90! He took it again later in the consultation and used the other arm and said it was back to normal in that one and then had reduced in the other. He said he didn稚 need to do anything immediately as might be down to worrying about heart .

Obviously I need to wait for results etc and I know no one on here can advise but I知 really scared and feel a little shaky now. I don稚 know much about heart issues and am worried I might have something seriously wrong or even be at imminent risk of dropping dead.

Can anyone offer a few kind words to keep me going? X

Re: Feel like I知 about to have a heart attack

The GP would have sent you to hospital on the spot if any kind of issue was suspected. BP that high in a Doctors office while suffering with anxiety is actually pretty normal. BP readings in isolation are rarely indicative of a problem.

Chest pain is incredibly common, but if there was anything seriously wrong with your heart it would be unbearable, and exercise would be very difficult, if not impossible. You would usually be gasping and feel very unwell.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks for your reply. It did make me feel a little better 👍

Hiyer Pigeon,

I really know very little about hearts or heart problems, so can't say much about that, sorry. However, I will say that I think you were absolutely right to get yourself checked under the circumstances. I am presuming the GP listened to your heart also? I think if they suspected anything on the scale of 'emergency' you'd not be sent home at all and would be straight to the hospital.

I would say this, if you feel that your symptoms get worse or more severe than how they were/are, then don't hesitate to call for emergency medical help. Perhaps just knowing that you can/could do that would make you feel more relaxed? I can see why you feel scared, I think I would be too. I would certainly take it easy and not exercise today, until you are certain what is what.

Hopefully someone will come along with some better advice soon, but I will repeat that if there was any concern from the GP that you were about to have a major heart episode or were having one, you'd not be sent home.

The fact that it comes and goes should be enough proof. A heart attack is a excruciating and constant pain. If you were going to have a heart attack you'd know it

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I feel a little better today and although still getting the pain, now I am more focused on it, I am sure myself that it’s not heart related. Even with my thoughts about angina pain rather than a heart attack (which I thought it might at first) I’m reassured at what my GP said about it lasting longer and being more painful.

I will still go for the ECG as it would be stupid not to. And I am still worried about my BP, but if it is not just a high reading because of stress, i know it can be sorted with lifestyle changes and medication if necessary.

I admit to not feeling completely calm about things - there’s definitely some underlying anxiety around this morning which I need to deal with - but at least I feel a little more rational.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to respond. Xx

Hiyer,

Thats really good, so glad you are feeling much better and settled. I agree, I would definitely go for the ecg as well, its being offered and it will help reassure you or (and lets be honest here it is so unlikely!)alert to any issue thats not known about. Come back and say how you got on. I think you've done really well to gain some rational thought on this in relatively few hours.

Carys, ECG was fine - all normal. Just need to see GP next week when results are sent back and blood tests arrived.

The rational thinking you mention is a bit hit and miss though! I had CBT a while ago and try to use what i learned to get things in perspective. Sometimes it works, sometimes not! ����

Thanks for your concern though. I really appreciate it xx

Hit and miss is ok It'll become more 'hit' the more practice you give yourself, and you use it. I'm very glad to hear all was ok.

Thread Information