Thread: Bleeding after pelvic exam

Bleeding after pelvic exam

Today I had a pelvic exam and during it, my doctor said "it's normal to have a little bit of spotting after" and I figured she was just letting me know just in case. But when she was finished and I sat up I noticed a bit of blood on the sheet and it scared me as I've never had that before after an exam. She again said it was normal but I looked it up (I don't know why I did but I did) and it comes up as a symptom of cervical cancer. But I also found lots of sites that say it's perfectly normal. I'm going to try as hard as I can not to worry, but I just wondered if anyone else had experienced spotting after a pelvic exam? Any replies would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Bleeding after pelvic exam

Quote Originally Posted by cath34 View Post
    Today I had a pelvic exam and during it, my doctor said "it's normal to have a little bit of spotting after" and I figured she was just letting me know just in case. But when she was finished and I sat up I noticed a bit of blood on the sheet and it scared me as I've never had that before after an exam. She again said it was normal but I looked it up (I don't know why I did but I did) and it comes up as a symptom of cervical cancer. But I also found lots of sites that say it's perfectly normal. I'm going to try as hard as I can not to worry, but I just wondered if anyone else had experienced spotting after a pelvic exam? Any replies would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    It's normal to have spotting after a pap test, I had it in my younger years

I get spotting and cramping after my pelvic exams. Did you get a pap today? It's always worse for me the years I get a Pap smear.

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies. Yes it was a pap. And it was a new doctor, she's replaced my old doctor who has retired so it's the first time I've had a pap with her, and it seemed like when she took the sample it was a little more painful than other times - like she scraped the cervix a bit harder, so maybe it's that too. Unnerving though since it's never happened before. Thanks again for replying to me.

Definitely unnerving, but it seems really logical that it was the pap. I never used to get the bleeding when I was younger, it was only in the last several years. Our bodies change over time, too, so that could contribute! My cervix has been through a lot over the years!

Thanks again Erin. What I don't get is why if it's normal and common (and I totally believe it is) it's listed as a symptom of cervical cancer on so many websites. Isn't that totally misleading? I guess I'll just get off Google now

Yes - that's just Google being Google.

Hello!

Just wanted to share that I had a pelvic exam last week, manual but no pap and I had some cervical mucus that had blood in it a couple of days after the exam. I'm older (47) and this didn't happen when I was younger but seems to be a new normal as I age. I asked my NP about this and she said that if it were to continue for more than one cycle and outside of something like a manual exam or pap smear then I should schedule a visit to discuss additional testing.

Quote Originally Posted by MJunderway View Post
    Hello!

Just wanted to share that I had a pelvic exam last week, manual but no pap and I had some cervical mucus that had blood in it a couple of days after the exam. I'm older (47) and this didn't happen when I was younger but seems to be a new normal as I age. I asked my NP about this and she said that if it were to continue for more than one cycle and outside of something like a manual exam or pap smear then I should schedule a visit to discuss additional testing.
    Thanks MJunderway. I'm 43 so I'm wondering if mine had something to do with getting older as well. Yet another side effect of aging

For me, it's only been after I hit 41. I never had these issues when I was younger. However, I've not had a good perimenopause so a lot of stuff down there has been "not the norm". I think it's hard for folk with HA to know when things are normal/not-normal and when they are a point of concern. I'm going to set up an appt with my primary doc for a second opinion. He's pretty sympathetic to my HA and is a straight shooter, so we'll see what he has to say. Hope things settle down for you too!

Thread Information