Thread: Possible for poop to be black if it was brown a few hours earlier? I never checked it

Possible for poop to be black if it was brown a few hours earlier? I never checked it

So I did a poop this morning and check as I usually do. At least once a day. Yesterday checked twice. And it was fine. Its been fine every single time I've checked in the last 3 months

The second time I went today (I go 2-3 times) I didn't check. Felt normal and I wasn't vomiting or passing out or anything. My doctor said you'd know if something was up and he colour would be black as the night or red if it wasn't

Anyway wash my hands and what not and a few minutes later I'm sitting down and notice a black ish maybe dirt dot on my finger so I flicked it away and a similar one I one on my nail.

So now I'm panicking that I could've done a black poop and I never even checked it to make sure

I did think the same yesterday evening but obviously this morning it was normal

Re: Possible for poop to be black if it was brown a few hours earlier? I never checke

Have you considered not obsessively checking?

Re: Possible for poop to be black if it was brown a few hours earlier? I never checke

Your doctor is right when they mentioned black poo. I was on iron tablets which make your poo black (presumably it's the iron from your blood which makes your poo black as well) and it really is full on black. Not just bits, but the entire poo.

I think even if you had somehow got some poo on your hands from wiping, it would've come off when you washed your hands. So it's much more likely to be some other bit of dirt you picked up around the house between washing your hands and noticing it.

And all of your other poos were normal as you said - it's highly unlikely that the one poo you didn't check would be the one that had blood in it.

Was it poop on your fingers? That seems unlikely... And, you washed your hands. Most likely it was either some kind of fuzz from the towel your dried on or anything else you may have touched while your hands were slightly damp so it stuck.

This is your anxiety implanting doubt in your mind because you didn't check. Try to ignore it, and stop checking your poop!

I'm really sorry for asking

I did find out what it was. So don't read on if you don't want to be grossed out

It was dried poop that had stuck to my backside as I managed to replicate it. I used a torch and it was brown. It just looks black.

Always wipe properly folks

How lovely haha.

When you're passing black poop that is blood, believe me you'll know by the smell alone. It is absolutely the worst smell I can think of. I've smelt it in work a few times when on the ward. It even makes seasoned nurses wretch.

Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    How lovely haha.

When you're passing black poop that is blood, believe me you'll know by the smell alone. It is absolutely the worst smell I can think of. I've smelt it in work a few times when on the ward. It even makes seasoned nurses wretch.

Good luck
    I can definitely say I've never had that! Like everyone's done a smelly poop in their time lol, but even my doctor said it would be a putrid smell like you're saying there

I guess I don't understand fully why the dried poop looked black, but then under a torch just looked regular brown like all the other times?

Also the reason I used a torch is cause the lighting in the room was getting dark

It's probably because it dried up it went dark. You'll notice that, should you pass a stool which is firmer at the leading edge, and softer at the end of the stool, there will be a noticeable colour difference. I would suggest the same thing is at play here.

Yes, the smell of melaena (or melena in US English) is probably the most foul smelling thing I've EVER encountered.

Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Okay, even if this speck was poop...what makes you think it is blood? I have black specks in my stool ALL the time, usually as a result of something I ate...an herb, etc...turning black on its way out. The black stool your doctor was referring to would be foul, sticky, and very obvious. You would likely be anemic and feel like ____ as well as a result of the bleeding. I think you just passed a darkened piece of food, which is incredibly normal and common.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information