Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How severe has anxiety affected YOUR memory?

Re: Can anxiety cause diminished cognition and math skills

Sarah - CJD is a terrifying thought and hard to shake from an anxiety point of view. I went through months of this one going in and out of my mind. That was 14 years ago, and what I was experiencing then were insane levels of anxiety and stress as a result of being investigated for a potential sudden death heart condition. One of the symptoms I had was that any sunlight was feeling like it was burning my skin and eyes. I also had all the symptoms you describe. This was 100% anxiety. CJD is so terrifying because a lot of the symptoms are like anxiety, but anxiety is a far far more likely cause. If you were a detective in a who dunnit, anxiety would be your number 1 suspect, and CJD nowhere near.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantMogwai View Post
    Sarah - CJD is a terrifying thought and hard to shake from an anxiety point of view. I went through months of this one going in and out of my mind. That was 14 years ago, and what I was experiencing then were insane levels of anxiety and stress as a result of being investigated for a potential sudden death heart condition. One of the symptoms I had was that any sunlight was feeling like it was burning my skin and eyes. I also had all the symptoms you describe. This was 100% anxiety. CJD is so terrifying because a lot of the symptoms are like anxiety, but anxiety is a far far more likely cause. If you were a detective in a who dunnit, anxiety would be your number 1 suspect, and CJD nowhere near.

Thabk you for your reply. Knowing people can relate to my symptoms does help take the edge off quite a bit. It is extremely hard to try and act or be normal when you feel like something is terribly wrong..that everything is wrong and you are losing your intelligence...worried about diseases that cause certain death. It is so hard to get over that hump and believe in what everyone else says...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnadine View Post
    Thabk you for your reply. Knowing people can relate to my symptoms does help take the edge off quite a bit. It is extremely hard to try and act or be normal when you feel like something is terribly wrong..that everything is wrong and you are losing your intelligence...worried about diseases that cause certain death. It is so hard to get over that hump and believe in what everyone else says...
    Completely true. It also would be easier if there were straight forward tests for all medical conditions but this isn't the case, and probably never will be. All you can do is your best with the information and care available and try to think about the most likely suspects first.

While we're here, another symptom I've had which is weird, is things that are really close feel really huge and things that aren't feel really tiny. Currently I'm putting this down to anxiety or my astigmatism. Next stop, my optician, but I have a funny feeling this one will remain unanswered.

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 04:10.

My dpdr symptoms are lessening..but I had something happen today that scared the bajeezus out of me...
    Today I was getting ready to drive my husband's car (which I drive all the time). I was nervous before I even backed out...what if I forget? Everything was muscle memory and I drove fine with the exception of forgetting that I initially tried to turn on the windsheild wipers by rotating the tip of the lever backward instead of forward...and down the road I wondered if I would remember how to turn on cruise control and when I tried I forgot. I initially pressed set+, then the on buttom when it is the other way around.

?

Forgot how to opperate some car functions?!?!?! CJD SCARED PLEASE HELP!!

So for the past 2 weeks I have been in a severe panic over CJD. Worried I have it, wondering if I hallucinate or my memory will slip. Yesterday I was getting ready to drive me and my husband's car (which I drive ALL the time). I was nervous before I even backed out...what if I forget? Everything was muscle memory and I drove fine with the exception of trying to turn on the windsheild wipers by rotating the tip of the lever backward instead of forward...and down the road I wondered if I would remember how to turn on cruise control and when I tried I forgot. I initially pressed set+, then the on button when it is the other way around. Today I woke up and the first thing I thought was "I don't know how to turn the running (fog) lights on"...I jumped out of bed in a severe panic. I had to go through it in my head. I thought the dimmer switch was for running lights but that didn't make sense cause I knew that turned on the interior dome light. It took me 10 solid minutes to remember that you pull out the 'headlight' knob to turn on the running lights.

I am a little freaked out. Is this a bad sign? i am only 31 years old.... can anxiety or stress make you forget basic things you did 100 times???

I went on Yahoo Answers with this question and i got these responses..

"If it is a car you drove all the time, then I would be worried ...that doesnt sound like stress"

And

"Anxiety can cause memory issues, but not this severe. You might have a disease"

I am about to vomit............

Re: Forgot how to opperate some car functions?!?!?! CJD SCARED PLEASE HELP!!

First things first take a nice deep breath! What is cjd? This is not something I've heared about? Are you on any medications for your anxiety?

---------- Post added at 03:38 ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 ----------

OK I had a look into this as I had no idea what it was and this is what I found.

Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) is a rare, degenerative, fatal brain disorder. It affects about one person in every one million per year worldwide in the United States there are about 350 cases per year. CJD usually appears in later life and runs a rapid course.

1 in 1 million chance is like winning the lottery.
    It appears in later life and as your only 31 I'd say your far too young.

Everything you said could be from anxiety and trust me I forget simple things when I'm stressed and on edge..I drove home the other night and my head felt like it left my body as I'd been on edge all day.

Sarah, these topics are all related, can you please keep them all to one thread.

It makes it easier for people to see what has been said in the past and if you read over previous replies you will probably find the answers.

Elen

This is just your anxiety.

I do things like this frequently.

* One time I forgot briefly which side the liver is on (yeah, ridiculous I know)
    * I sometimes forget the doses of drugs, even simple ones. One day someone asked me about Folic Acid, and I couldn't remember what strength it was.
    * I always forget brand names! A lot of our American friends on here use the branded names, whereas in the UK we use the generic name. Chances are if you ask me "What's the brand name for..." I'll take a while to get it - if I even get it all.

I can list more if you want for further reassurance.

My point is, this is something I've studied and work with FIVE days a week, full time... Yet I'll take mind blanks on the silliest things.

It's only if you get into your car, can't remember how to turn it on and persist in being unable to remember that you need to worry!!
    Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information