Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severe germophobia, please help!

Severe germophobia, please help!

I suffer from anxiety, severe OCD and especially germophobia. Sometimes, when I am little relaxed, which is rare, I simply forget: so I just, at work, went to a vending machine, put two dollar bills in it, bought a pack of pretzels, and then: I opened the bag, and with the same hand with which I put the money in, I put a piece of pretzel in my mouth. I froze, and managed to spit it out, but I am freaking out now that certainly some kind of germs stayed in my mouth. I need help from fellow sufferers to stop this horrible scary rumination. I know many people how do it often , every day, and never think of it! Alas, that is not my brain, and at this point, yet another weekend is ruined for me. Please, somebody post a helpful answer
    Last edited by Lana; 18-01-19 at 21:06.

Severe fear pf germs, please help

I suffer from anxiety, severe OCD and especially germophobia. Sometimes, when I am little relaxed, which is rare, I simply forget: so I just, at work, went to a vending machine, put two dollar bills in it, bought a pack of pretzels, and then: I opened the bag, and with the same hand with which I put the money in, I put a piece of pretzel in my mouth. I froze, and managed to spit it out, but I am freaking out now that certainly some kind of germs stayed in my mouth. I need help from fellow sufferers to stop this horrible scary rumination. I know many people how do it often , every day, and never think of it! Alas, that is not my brain, and at this point, yet another weekend is ruined for me. Please, somebody post a helpful answer I already posted in Phobia sub-forum, but nobody replied

Re: Severe fear pf germs, please help

Are you doing anything to treat the underlying anxiety and OCD?

Re: Severe germophobia, please help!

Really. I am sure if you took a pretzl rubbed it on the pavement then eaten it you would be fine with no problems its said there is more germs under youre own finger nails than a toilet seat ive never licked a toilet seat but have bitten my nails so i figure you could be mostly fine with bad bathroom habbits also honestly youre fear is really not worth the time and effort you give to it honestly you will be completly fine

I am trying... The doctor recently put me on Lexapro again, so I just started again. I am incredibly tired from being afraid all the fing time, I just cannot take it any longer.

BTW: Shall I get sick from what I posted ?

Oh God, thank you so much, this helps sooo much!

Three years ago I had severe intestinal infection, and since then everything is even worse. Thank you again!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Lana View Post
    I am trying... The doctor recently put me on Lexapro again, so I just started again. I am incredibly tired from being afraid all the fing time, I just cannot take it any longer.

BTW: Shall I get sick from what I posted ?
    That’s great! How about therapy?

Re: Your post

You acknowledge other people do that sort of thing all the time. Do they get sick?

I know all that, but mind is so powerful, and sometimes I am just helpless against its lunacy. I am trying, but I have a lot going in my life, unrelated but hard to bear, and I am probably subconsciously turning to all sort of irrational fears to forget about other things. I do not know what to do. You would not believe what I had a panic attack the other day from, cannot even talk about it. I tried exposure therapy for germophobia, but was not able to go through it. Thank you for helpin, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana View Post
    I know all that, but mind is so powerful, and sometimes I am just helpless against its lunacy. I am trying, but I have a lot going in my life, unrelated but hard to bear, and I am probably subconsciously turning to all sort of irrational fears to forget about other things. I do not know what to do. You would not believe what I had a panic attack the other day from, cannot even talk about it. I tried exposure therapy for germophobia, but was not able to go through it. Thank you for helpin, really.
    I understand. Our anxiety comes out in odd ways sometimes. Keep working with your doctor on it and trying to challenge the negative thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information