Thread: On edge

On edge

I feel like my anxiety is really getting the better of me at the moment and could really do with chatting to someone who understands. Out of no where on New Year’s Eve I felt some heart palpitations I’m not sure if I’ve had these before I’ve certainly had an unsettled feeling and a fast heart rate but don’t think I’ve ever felt the huge beats like I did. It caught me by surprise because I was doing alright I was a little stressed over Christmas but thought I was handling it. The 2 weeks that followed I was very aware of my anxiety because of these palpitations but gradually the feeling went away then on Tuesday it happened again, the same thing 4 very hard beats but I managed to convince myself if it was anything serious it would happen more often then 2 weeks apart. Yesterday I felt very unsettled all day and my mind was full of what ifs. The plan was a quiet night a take away and film and early night. I fell asleep on the sofa pretty early but kept waking up as the film was noisy and on the 3rd time I felt 4 hard heart beats again and that was it I’ve been up most of the night and feel so unsettled again now waiting for it to happen again.

I’ve stuff going on with work and home but it’s just life there’s nothing I can do but deal with these things but feeling like this is making it more difficult. I guess what I’m asking is has anyone else had these strange palpitations in this way that have been down to anxiety or am I masking something more serious but thinking it’s “just anxiety” it’s like I’m running around in circles. Apart from the odd palpitations and feeling on edge I feel brilliant in my health.

I feel quite alone trying to deal with this

Re: On edge

Hiya, you are not alone and will find lots of people on this forum going through the same thing as you. I have heart palpitations when I am anxious. The other day I walked into a shop (I'm not good in public places) and I had 3 big thumps. It is so common with anxiety. A few years ago when I had anxiety bad originally, I had them so often (every day) it was very scary - but hey I'm still alive and as my anxiety went at that time so did they.

Thank you for replying, can I ask did you feel dizzy at all with your heart palpitations? That’s the bit that’s really scaring me but I’m wondering if that could also be caused by anxiety so I’m going around in circles

Hi there. Yes I get big thumps I a row and I have felt hot and dizzy too.. I get them on and off either a little flutter in my chest and throat or the above. I have a 12 day holter on at present. thing is I am not pressing the button every time as I want to capture the bigger thumps! It is such a worry but you are not on your own!

Yea sometimes I do get dizzy with the palpitations, just for a second or two

Thank you for replying I’ve seen my dr today and she said there’s nothing to worry about everyone gets them and it’s only because I’m anxious that I’m feeling them and I’m feeling dizzy because when it happens my blood pressure drops for a split second. I’ve just got to ignore them to break the cycle

Thread Information