For the last few weeks, I have obsessed over my heart rate. My Fitbit and app always showed a steady heart rate in 60’s to 70’s but lately it is dropping regularly into the 50’s and I can usually tell when it does by a decrease in energy. Deep down I know I should go to the doctors but I have developed a fear of visiting doctors too. In fact despite my constant health anxiety, I haven’t visited a doctor’s surgery in over 2 years apart from routine thyroid tests when I was told my meds (thyroxine) would stop if I didn’t get them checked!

As I sit here tonight, I have slight chest pain although it was quite bad earlier but passed quickly. With a bmi of 32, I am obese so I am fully aware my low heart rate is not because I am an athlete!! I am fairly active and recently stopped smoking and although I used to be a heavy drinker, I have reduced my intake significantly to within recommended limits.

I guess what I’m asking is, is a resting heart rate in the 50’s really bad for a 45 year old obese woman? I’ve read lots of threads but it seems those with low resting heart rates are much younger and fitter than I am!!